Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New To Wireless  (Read 1974 times)

Natureguy04

Topic Starter

Beginner

New To Wireless
    « on: August 27, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
    So i've finally jumped on board the wireless train. However it's a desktop not a Laptop. My problem is this. Some web pages open and load normally just like when I didn't have wirless, however some web pages, like google for instance won't even open. Google maps will open but is very very slow. I have this problem with other webpages. This webpage, Computer Hope works just fine. Any ideas as to why? ;D

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

Re: New To Wireless
      « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:58:02 PM »
      Hmmmm can you give us the model number of the router and the adapter for your PC? and about how far are they from each other?

Natureguy04

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »
        They are both Linksys. The card is the Wireless-G adaptor Mo. # WMP54G. The router is Wireless-G Mo. # WAP54G. They are about 60 to 70 feet apart walking. The router is downstairs my computer is upstairs. If you drew a straight line it's probably closer to 30 feet or so. I've been online with Linksys and their live chat thing, they say it's my computer's firewall and antivirus protection. I've tried turning off the firewalls and nothing changed. I have a friend who things it's the routers security and encryption settings, which of course makes no sense to me which is why i'm here :-).

Dairyman

Beginner

• Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:58:31 AM »
        I'm getting a problem that is similar to yours, except I'm using a laptop and my wireless modem connects directly to the laptop's USB port.

I'm thinking it's switching between GSM/3G, because whenever I switch to GSM, almost none of the pages I go to will load, and if they do, they are super-slow to load, even when they are very lite. But on 3G, it's MUCH MORE faster and experience almost no problems, except for my connection dropping out whenever I do something that hogs my data allowance.

This is just my opinion, it could be something else.