Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: programs not opening up  (Read 3264 times)

dtrigiani

Topic Starter

Rookie

programs not opening up
    « on: September 12, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
    I'm at university and had quite a bit of trouble connecting to the internet. I had to remove my old anti-virus, and replaced it with avg. Then I had to download all sorts of things to just be able to use the internet. I thought I had that behind me, but I'm having trouble again. Before I got avg, I tried getting symantec because that is what the university uses and it was recommended. It worked for a while, but then every time I tried to open it, it would try to install something, but not be able to locate the correct file. I got rid of it and got AVG. Then I had that problem with msn - no problem, I just got the installer out of the trash bin and went through that again. Then I tried opening MS Word, and the same thing happened. As a university student, Word is probably the most important program. It's also bad because it's difficult to find places to download Word again. Anyone have any tips? I'm on an older Dell laptop running Windows XP Home.

ImnoGuru

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: programs not opening up
      « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »
      Hi these forums wont give recommendations of where to get programs, but if your at UNI certainly there would be a lot of PPL about you with an original copy of Office or word. You could try to introduce yourself to a classmate and ask if they might be able to help you.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 01:44:50 AM »
      There are a few free alternatives to Microsoft Word though.

For example, Open Office.
      http://www.openoffice.org/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »
      DLoad and run the Norton Removal Tool from Norton's site and then re-install AVG Free...
      As a student you qualify for some hefty discounts on Microsoft products so i would visit the University bookstore and definitely take advantage of these...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dtrigiani

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:08:51 AM »
        i tried to get microsoft 2007, but that didn't work either. openoffice works well, thanks.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:22:36 AM »
         ;)