Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to shutdown any other system in a workgroup while sitting on a diffrent one?  (Read 5493 times)

san_crazy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

is there anyway to shutdown any  system from another one in a workgroup??

suppose there is a work group name and computer name under a LAN.  how could it be done?

actually I have noticed today in my college the number of systems are connected in a LAN(its not new though) are in a work group , I was trying to shutdown a different system while sitting on different one. but couldn't succeed.

shutdown -s -m nodename -t time    and i got somewhat like following

the process completed successfully
    the required step was not carried out by client

but the system didn't show any changes I was trying to shutdown.

Dias de verano

You will forgive me if I sound a bit suspicious, but I regret to say that we regularly get questions from students/schoolkids asking how to play various "pranks" on other users of their school or college's computer equipment. These pranks include such "exploits" as popping open CD trays, deleting files, logging users off, and (guess what?) shutting down the computer.

Often remote shutdowns are deliberately disabled in school computers. Even if they are not, in a well set up and run system, in general, only system admins have the power to shut down PCs remotely. If you are one of the students, you will not have that privilege, and the attempt will fail, as you have found.

People wondering about such pranks should note that (a) irresponsible use of public, educational or business IT systems and/or (b) bypassing security or other system restrictions are not encouraged by Computerhope, and I believe that it is contrary to forum policy to give advice on how to do these things.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:40:20 PM by Dias de verano »