Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry Key Info  (Read 5390 times)

FredAt

Topic Starter

Registry Key Info
    « on: October 01, 2008, 01:45:31 AM »
    Hello All,

I have been trying to find some definitive information regarding the following Windows registry keys

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductId
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductId
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LicenseInfo
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\InstallDate

I need to create a multifactor installation identification technique.  I am thinking of using HKLM information, volume serial number for the drive with the Windows temp folder and the CPUId.  The idea is to minimize the possibility that either none of this information is somehow accessible or is doctored by the user. A failure on more than one factor will block software installation.

These registry keys sound like they could be useful but I have been unable to find any definitive information regarding them.  Also, why is there some basic info under the Windows key and then more stuff under the Windows NT key?

I should add that the only OSs of interest to me are XP and Vista.  I would much appreciate any help.

copas

Intermediate
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Registry Key Info
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:03:47 AM »
    Information on Vista's registry is difficult to locate. I can only suggest that you take a look at: Windows 98 Registry by John Woram. I have found it to be factual straight forward and honest. It was written some time ago on Window's 95 and 98 and may not be identical with Vista's registry. I think they are similar.

I might add that it is my opinion that registry information extant is burdened with disinformation deliberately formulated to confuse the uninitiated. It seems that Microsoft deliberately contrived the registry to be obscure and confusing. Some excellent programmers I have spoken to share my impression. I wish you luck in your quest for information.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
    @FredAt:

Those registry entries, as you know, deal with XP/Vista Activation and so forth.

However- they don't uniquely identify the PC your installing your software too, since they could need to reactivate Windows, which would change these entries.

I have seen a lot of applications use the Disk Serial Number, but at the same time this has caused a lot of problems, particularly when a user upgrades their Hard Disk.

Are you programming this multifactor installation technique? If so I can provide some good sources of information on the subject of preventing your program from being cracked.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

FredAt

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 01:01:07 AM »
      Thank you for the replies.  You are right - information regarding registry keys appears to be deliberately confusing.  There are no number of sources on the net that purport to provide information but none of them are quite upto the task of providing an authoritative view on distinct keys.

I realize that reformatting the disk or upgrading Windows would change some of the data I am planning to use.  In my experience, this happens sufficiently infrequently for it not to be the main criterion I use in choosing the copy protection implementation I use.  I have already implemented the technique and it gives satisfactory results on all the computers at my disposal - not that, that is any measure of success.

Any additional information that you may be able to provide would be most welcome - perhaps it will help me to harden the technique and identify potential problems.

Also - in case any one knows - just what is the current status of the CPUId?  When Intel first introduced it I know that Civil Liberties advocates effectively killed it.  However, on all of my machines (AMD as well as Intel) I get the ID no problems at all.  I actually convert it into a cryptographically secure 256 bit hash so I can assure users that I am not in fact recording information that can be used to identify them.

copas

Intermediate
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
      I don't pretend to know a lot about the registry. I have looked into it some. I didn't mean to imply that it is a bunch of nonsense. I have my opinions like everyone else. I don't think it came about by accident. As you know it has grown since it's inception until with Vista it must consume a hefty chunk of the microprocessor's time. My opinion is that it is Microsoft's effort to protect premium content in computers running windows. It does a pretty good job of this and the philosophy now spills into the design of most of the peripherals. If we consider that the coming trend is for our computers to be the center of our living room's entertainment equipment we can see the need for some method to control and protect the 'intellectual property, of not only our computers but all kinds of media players attached. Thus the registry concept of a shell to guard the revenue stream of not only Microsoft but the music and video we might like to play. The coming digital transition of TV is I think somewhat driven by this philosophy.

I don't know what you can do with all this but if I were a smart Young programmer I might do away with the registry and replace it with an assembly program. Open source anyone?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
      I don't know what you can do with all this but if I were a smart Young programmer I might do away with the registry and replace it with an assembly program.

That doesn't make any sense. the registry is a data storage method. No execution takes place.

You are completely confused as to what the registry is. Perhaps I can explain:

The registry has existed since windows 3.1, and came about to facilitate the management of Component Object Model (COM) classes(for their "Object Linking and Embedding" (OLE) features. Microsoft then realized that COM was itself a useful method of binary reusability, and so created a DLL called COMPOBJ.DLL, which managed these objects for other applications via "CoCreateInstance" and so forth.

THe story goes on- but in short, I think your confusing the registry with the kernel. AFAIK, the kernel DOES contain DRM code, in that it will check a drivers "tilt bits" whenever it returns from a function within that driver. if they are flipped, the driver purposely blue screens.

copas

Intermediate
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
      I don't understand the complete story of the registry. I have learned what little I know by gently tweaking it. It sees to behave somewhat like another high level language. I can change the data in the registry and change the looks of some of the graphics, sometimes. But I haven't found a definitive publication on this. If you know of some I would be further in your debt if  you pointed me to them. I understand the registry isn't the whole story.

The registry seems to grow larger with time especially since Vista has implemented the security measures with tilt bits and such.

Thanks for being helpful.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
      the registry just stores data- that is why you can change stuff- the registry is where the information on such things are saved.

the registry is pretty much a giant INI file. It might be used to store information ON drm, but that actual DRM code that deals with it is elsewhere.