Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?  (Read 13505 times)

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?
« on: October 05, 2008, 01:07:16 AM »
Hi Computer Hope Experts, good day. :)

I asked my friend last week about memory. I asked him if it's ok if I can mix two different RAM sizes and frequencies in my motherboard. He answered NO because it can cause damage or burn to my memory and every gold contacts in the memory has its own voltage. He said also that the gold contacts will turn to black. Not all contacts but some contacts will turn black color it's because mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause burn to my memory.

Questions:
1. Is it true that mixing two different sizes and frequencies can cause damage or burn to my memory? and Why?
2. Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?

homer

Expert
    Re: Two different RAM sizes and frequencies are not advisable?
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 01:37:46 AM »
    1. no
    2. mixing RAM with different frequencies is not advisable due to the fact that the motherboard will simply go with the speed of the slowest RAM stick. mixing RAM sizes is ok as long as the two different RAM sticks have the same frequency and timings.

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:07:38 AM »
    Hello Si Homer, good day. :)

Thanks Sir homer.

Questions:
    mixing RAM sizes is ok as long as the two different RAM sticks have the same frequency and timings.
    1. I have two same RAM sizes here 256MB and they have different frequencies. What will happen if they have different frequencies and timings?

I use these two RAMs for almost 3 years now. And they still work well.

mixing RAM with different frequencies is not advisable due to the fact that the motherboard will simply go with the speed of the slowest RAM stick.
    2. If I will install two different frequencies, the memory controller will set each memory to the lowest dominator of speed. In short it will down clock to the lowest frequency. What's wrong with that Sir if it will down clock to the lowest speed?

Thanks for the quick reply Sir Homer.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 04:00:14 AM by SHENGTON »

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
      1. answered in number 2

What's wrong with that Sir if it will down clock to the lowest speed?

2. nothing is wrong with it, its just the fact that you will not be using the faster RAM to its fullest potential. you payed more for faster RAM only to have it go as fast as the slowest RAM module.

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:57:40 AM »
      Some computer technicians here in our country they always advice to their customers not to mix two different frequencies? My instructor also said that to me not to mix different frequencies because it will cause damage/burn to my memory or memory contacts.

I'm thinking that my instructor isn't reading information in the internet and books. I'm thinking that my instructor and some computer technicians they are just basing it in their experienced.

Can you give me some links that will prove that my instructor and the computer technicians are not right?

dslgeek

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 05:46:10 PM »
        This thread has more urban legend rather than fact.  8)
        It is better to pay attention to the documentation.  ;)
        If you want more memory, and if it works, it is a good choice.  ;D

homer

Expert
          « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »
          Can you give me some links that will prove that my instructor and the computer technicians are not right?

the computer technicians are right to advise not to mix RAM with two different frequencies (read my last post for the reason why), but i highly doubt the validity of your instructors claim. i cannot, however, supply any links to disprove his theory because i dont think it has ever happened. its like trying to find a link to disprove someones theory that if you pour water in your PCI slot a tree will grow out of it. i believe your instructor may have had a problem with damaged RAM and came to the incorrect conclusion that it was because they were different frequencies.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
          In my experience it has never been a worthwhile endeavor to prove an Instructer wrong...
          Best to leave sleeping dogs lie i say.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
          Thanks guys, your inputs really helps. :)