Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: does XP have the restart stuff like vista?  (Read 3939 times)

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

does XP have the restart stuff like vista?
    « on: October 17, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
    i had a guy run my vista loaded laptop back to the initial startup/registration phase---absolutely wiping out the accumulated data but starting the system anew. I did not have the corresponding disks or I wouldve done it myself.

I also have a pc that was infected with the same crap that made me have to do that to my laptop, but my pc is an XP system. i do not have the original disks (maybe i do but i a cant locate it). does XP have the proper reinstallation software written to the hard drive? and if so, what are the commands to make this happen. I would like to save some things on here but it is not a pre-requisite. i need to clean this thing and start anew but do not have the discs

if you have a suggestion or know a solution, e mail me at [email removed to prevent spam and we like to keep all topics on the forum]

thanks
    carly

i
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:51:14 PM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: does XP have the restart stuff like vista?
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »
    You will need the Windows XP CD.

You will need to borrow a disc.

If you tell us the problem, we may be able to help you, however.

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »
      Sorry for the delay! Thanks for the reply.

This computer once belonged to my father and he is notorious for for opening everything he has in his inbox as well as visiting every link in said email. It has a problem and he gave it to me because he'll just buy a new one and do the same thing to it.

When i try to start the computer it has a pop up box that is saying something about how some program "failed to initialize. you will have to restart the application" but I select ok and it just does it again. I try to cancel and it just keeps doing it.

The computer is absolutely full of spyware, adware and probably some more malicious type stuff. My father  used the free sample of word perfect to write a book (that he almost finished) but never saved it. Now the introductory has run its coarse and the book cannot be accessed. He will not purchase the word perfect but wants me to get the book out before I wipe the hard drive.

I want to do this for him but I am stuck. This is a compaq and has just about every kind of feature one could want but it is useless right now.

What to do?

Thanks for the help.
      Carly

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:16:22 AM »
      All right, so you want to start over after retrieving some files.

Is this a Desktop computer we're talking about?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
      Why is this posted in DOS section?

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
        I assumed that, since what I am trying to do has to be typed in the command prompt section prior to windows opening, I was in the right forum. If not, please direct me to the correct area.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 11:29:57 AM »
        If your Compaq has recovery partition, you can access it by pressing F11 during computer startup.
        Recovery process will return your computer to its original state. All data will be lost.

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
          i got to the system recovery (which was actually F10) and have gotten to the point of asking me which windows installation i would like to log onto

1: I:\I386
          2: I:\MiniNT
          3: C:\WINDOWS

I have tried the windows option at which point it asks for the administrators password. there are no passwords on this computer for the administrator. my dad had the guy set it up with none. I just chose option 3 and pressed enter, at which point the command line started as so

C:\WINDOWS\
                                   (i may be missing some punctuation in the line but thats it)

after that it just sat there. I press enter and it just duplicates the same thing below it.

I dont know what to do from here.

and if I am supposed to be posting questions of this sort somewhere else, please tell me where. I am new to this site. And while I have been using windows for almost 20 years, I am only now beginning to delve into the backbone of these things and I very much want to know more about what is going on behind the windows.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:53 PM »
          You're doing something wrong.
          Read HERE
          See "Recovering during startup" section.

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:15:33 PM »
            it is too late now. my dad came by last night while i wasnt here and stuck some startup disk in the computer---he only had one--- and got the ball rolling on installing xp anew. but the thing is, he only had one disk and now it is asking for disk two, which we dont have. now i cant get the computer to do anything but ask for the rest of the setup disks.

i guess i have ruined this thing because i dont have the 200 dollars to go by windows xp off the shelf.

totally dejected
            tonesage

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
            At this point, I simply don't know what to tell you, since I don't know what your dad exactly did.
            If he reformatted HD, you're out of luck, and you need Windows XP CD.
            If he didn't, Recovery Partition should be still there.
            It won't hurt to try to access it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »
            Agreed. You can borrow a Windows CD if you have to.

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 05:48:23 AM »
              i will have to borrow the cd. when i start the computer now it just says it failed to find some file and please resume the installation of windows. that is, of coarse, not verbatim. but rest assured, i do have to install windows fresh. this may be a blessing in disguise though because now i can set this computer up like i want it.

i have one question. when i reformat the system, does that mean that everything that was on it previously is erased? and, also, can i put windows xp media edition in? a friend of mine has a computer with that version of xp and it is the best i have seen.

thanks for all the help and i will let you know how it goes. and even ask foe assistance, i am quite sure.

later
              carly

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
                • Obituary
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 05:59:57 AM »
              i will have to borrow the cd. when i start the computer now it just says it failed to find some file and please resume the installation of windows. that is, of coarse, not verbatim. but rest assured, i do have to install windows fresh. this may be a blessing in disguise though because now i can set this computer up like i want it.

i have one question. when i reformat the system, does that mean that everything that was on it previously is erased? and, also, can i put windows xp media edition in? a friend of mine has a computer with that version of xp and it is the best i have seen.

thanks for all the help and i will let you know how it goes. and even ask foe assistance, i am quite sure.

later
              carly

If your friend has a restore set of disks.It may only be for their brand,
              model of computer.Unless you had my son there.
              Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

tonesage

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »
                i hope that this set of xp disks will work. man, this computer i have is pretty bad arse, ya know, for a compaq. big. and fast. i wish i could find a cheap way to fix it because i am stretched to translucence as far as capital.

thats fairly strange there, man. hope the kid didn't get daddy's eyes. if so, how did you ever procreate in order to duplicate THAT darwinian blooper? hope the brain is so massive as to jut the eyes more to the forward. maybe, it's just shock that karma allowed this soul to emanate in THAT state. the matrix got over on ya, bro. it aught not be, but it is so.   

we kid! we KID! WE KID!

i really do thank you fer the help. I hope I can find an affordable solution.

carly