Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Usb Over current detected?  (Read 5967 times)

Crafty

Usb Over current detected?
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »
Hope someone can help me out here because I am tearing my hair out over this problem I am having. The problem began when I tried to upgrade my graphics card from a Geforce 8800gt to the ati 4870. I booted up my computer after installing this ati card and during the post was greeted by the following message. “Usb over current detected please remove over current usb device”.  It then went on to say the computer would shutdown in 15 seconds – which it did.

The following is a list of things I have done to try to fix this problem - but with no success.
1)   Geforce card back in computer.
2)   Removed all usb devices.
3)   Bench tested my motherboard out of the case, with only the graphics card and ram installed, I disconnected hard drives/DVD drives... etc

Mainboard: Asus Crosshair
Psu: Coolermaster 650 watt

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Usb Over current detected?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
I would try this system with a new power supply. Sometimes overload detections are created by the lack of ample power to keep everything alive. Your power supply may be weak causing this. The USB overload is a general message since generally a USB overload would cause by the bus power being weighed down by devices.

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:58:20 AM »
I will try to get hold of a power supply like you have suggested, but I'm not entirely convinced that it is the psu. I have used a psu tester and all the readings come back ok. I also disconnected the hard drives and DVD drives so I feel this would have given it any power it needed. Do you think it could well be a fault on the mainboard? Can a mainboard develop this fault?

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:19 AM »
Hate to have to bump my post, but does anyone know if this could be a motherboard fault?

boo

Apprentice
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
i had this problem for a while
do you have any front (or top) USB ports?

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 07:38:33 AM »
I have front usb and disconnected them from the mainboard- I still get the same problem when they are disconnected. The back ones are onboard.

boo

Apprentice
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
well then my help wont be needed :D
that was my problem, that they were plugged into the mtherboard in the wrong configuration
good luck anyway

Crafty

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
Thanks for trying, I am starting to believe its a motherboard fault, but I'm hoping someone here may be able to confirm this.

Saviour

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
Here's a good thread to read to determine whether or not it may be the motherboard:  http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/usb-device-over-current-detected/50493.html

Crafty

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 08:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the link, I am almost sure its my mainboard now. I have sent this board back since it is still under warranty, I will let you know the outcome. Thanks!!

Saviour

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 08:47:13 AM »
You're welcome...

Let us know how the replacement goes...

Crafty

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 12:03:01 PM »
Turned out to be the motherboard, but what you suggested could also result in this error, so it's best to try your fix first. Thanks for the help guys.