Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Resolution won't reset after installing new ATI driver  (Read 4089 times)

orriblepox

Topic Starter

Resolution won't reset after installing new ATI driver
    « on: November 02, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »
    Long story short: I had a very old ATI driver that was giving me trouble on newer games. I installed the latest one thanks to Mobility Mod, and everything was fine and dandy, minus the fact that powersave on my monitor no longer worked. I tried to fix this by going back to an older driver version-- big mistake, for now the resolution on my monitor has whacked out.

The max resolution on my main monitor is 1280x1024, and on my 2nd monitor its 1680x1050. Currently, my main monitor won't display higher than  1280x900. And, happily, I still have the issue of the powersave not working. (This might be a software problem, since changing the driver seemed to have no effect. Can't imagine what software is causing it, though; hijackthis showed nothing out of the ordinary.)

I'm currently running a Radeon X600 video card with the 8.512.0.0 version of the driver, and the 8.7 version of Catalyst Control Center. (Not sure how that happened, actually. I thought I'd uninstalled Catalyst, but apparently it decided to stick around anyway.) I have XP SP2 on a Gateway 7510GX laptop.

I'm a touch desperate at this point. Any advice, great or small, would be much appreciated.
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 04:04:29 PM by orriblepox »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Resolution won't reset after installing new ATI driver
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
    Uninstall all instances of your video drivers and start over by trying the
    original drivers.--->GoHere

Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

orriblepox

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 08:44:34 PM »
      Reinstalling the original driver worked a treat. Standby popped on happy as you please, and I was able to set the screen to the proper res. Looks like the power save problems were a driver issue after all.

I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone, at this point. While it would certainly be nice to have the newer driver for the couple of games I buy every year, I'm not sure that it's worth the hassle.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:27:25 AM »
      New drivers are not always the best drivers...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      « Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »
      patio is correct here....as always.   :)
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.