Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VGA disabled and now can't boot up  (Read 3780 times)

pamam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

VGA disabled and now can't boot up
    « on: November 07, 2008, 12:30:03 AM »
    Hi all,
    I stuppidly disabled my VGA adapter and now my computer continually reboots forever.  There is a message about "no video input" during every cycle.
    I tried rebooting to "safe mode"
    I tried rebooting to "safe enable VGA mode"
    I tried resetting the bios by shorting the pins on the motherboard.
    I was going to look in win.ini but win2000 does not have one.

I'm stuck, can some one pleaaaaas help. ???

senthilvalli

Intermediate

Re: VGA disabled and now can't boot up
      « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 01:51:05 AM »
      can you try Bios settings VGA mode enable or disable. can you check?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 07:53:03 AM »
      The BIOS is not going to re-enable your video adapter if it was disabled in Device Manager...this needs to be done in safe mode...
      You say you can't get into it...what happens when you try ? ?

Power up and tap F8 repeatedly before you see the Windows splash screen...
      When it starts to load it will be a black DOS style screen with lots of writing on it.
      BE PATIENT. If it hasn't been ran for awhile it can take some time to load.
      Once it finishes loading all your icons will be moved around and not look as sharp...this is normal.
      Travel to Device Manager and re-enable the video and save the changes and re-boot.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pamam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:05:12 AM »
        response to first question

There is no VGA  on board and no VGA setting, unless there is some hidden commands like I read here that others have used.

I just tried it again and I wrote the wrong message altogether it was "no signal" on every iterative reboot, not what I said previously, as if the card just shut down completely.  Where I killed the VGA was in the properties window in the drop down with 2 choices  1. use this device or something to this effect and 2. don't use this device.  After that it did not work when going to windows from boot up.  I can see everything on the screeen until after the windows progress bar and it goes black before the normal blue windows is supposed to come on with the dialog box professing to be startingwindows the second time, then reboot occurs over and over like that.

my board is a brand new gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R/DS3 model and the video board is a brand new Diamond HD video board whose drivers just would not turn on the board.  It seems like they load but even bofre that I could never change the VGA settings from 640x400 to 800x600 even though it was on option according to the properties display.  It was in desparation that I did what i did, disable the vga, that got me into this problem.

Response o second question

Yes I've tried that but I keep getting the no signal message and the box automatically reboots, forever if I let it.
        I'v tried most of the safe modes.

Question

Where does windows save this kind of info, in some ini file or some place else.  Is it stored in battery backup ram so that if I remove the battery will it be reset??  I have not heard or seen that info anywhere.

Thanks  for reponding.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »
        It doesn't make sense that it will not run in safe mode...Windows only loads generic drivers...enough to just boot the machine and run safe mode...it wouldn't see the malfunctioning drivers at all.

Are you positive you do not have onboard video on this board ? ?

The info is not stored in the BIOS so that won't help at all.

You could try removing the card and swapping another one in to see...but there's a possibility your Windows install is corrupt with the dual-boot setup.

If you find you do have onboard video remove the card and connect it and re-boot...

pamam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »
          >It doesn't make sense that it will not run in safe mode...Windows only loads generic drivers...enough to just boot the
          >machine and run safe mode...it wouldn't see the malfunctioning drivers at all.

I can't get it to enter any safe modes at all.

>Are you positive you do not have onboard video on this board ? ?

Positive, checked the whole manual from cover to cover. and the Bios displays.  Besides there is no connector for  onboard video.

>The info is not stored in the BIOS so that won't help at all.

I kinda knew that since they stopped doing that are on win95 I think.

>You could try removing the card and swapping another one in to see...but there's a possibility your Windows install is
          >corrupt with the dual-boot setup.

I don't have dual boot set up.  What gave you that idea, maybe I'm not explaining myself properly?
          I starting to think that it might be corrupted too right now, I was just hoping there was something I could do to reverse my actions and go on.

>If you find you do have onboard video remove the card and connect it and re-boot...

I'll try reseating the card but did that once already, maybe not good enough, after that I'm going to reload windows.

Thanks, to you all.

pamam

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 03:27:02 PM »
            I tried reseating the card ==> no luck, has same problem

I tried another video card ==> no luck same problem.

Since this was a first build for this motherboard I'm just going to start over again.  I remember seeing an error measage when downloading .net framework that said memory not accessible in a copy operation, I tried to copy a file from one directory to another and could not do it at all, I ran check disk the next time it started up and there were problems.  My hard drive may be going out on me,  It is only an 80 gb one so it must be fairly old, a couple of years at least, so it won't hurt to get a newer version with more gbs.  This could explain a lot if I getting read/write errors or memory is fading.  It's like me, getting really old and forgetting stuff I forgot I knew  :).

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »
            I tried reseating the card ==> no luck, has same problem

I tried another video card ==> no luck same problem.

Since this was a first build for this motherboard I'm just going to start over again.  I remember seeing an error measage when downloading .net framework that said memory not accessible in a copy operation, I tried to copy a file from one directory to another and could not do it at all, I ran check disk the next time it started up and there were problems.  My hard drive may be going out on me,  It is only an 80 gb one so it must be fairly old, a couple of years at least, so it won't hurt to get a newer version with more gbs.  This could explain a lot if I getting read/write errors or memory is fading.  It's like me, getting really old and forgetting stuff I forgot I knew  :).

If we knew there were pre-existing conditions such as repetitive disk read/write errors ahead of time the diagnosis wouldn't have taken this long...
            Good Luck with the new HDD.