Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE 7 doesn't work  (Read 6913 times)

Regular Guy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

IE 7 doesn't work
    « on: December 13, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
    I am running W/XP Home SP2. I am having problems getting IE7 to work. My problem started with IE6 so I upgraded to IE7 and still am having problems. 

When I start IE7 the URL goes to "res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp3res.dll/dnserror.htm#http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005" and the output window says "The page cannot be displayed". My home page is currently set to about:blank. When I try so select TOOLS -> Internet Options, I get a window titled "Restrictions" with the text "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I also have Firefox and Flock on this computer and they both work fine. I really need to get IE working though. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: IE 7 doesn't work
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
    Are you the administrator?
    Have you installed anything else recently?

Regular Guy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »
      Yes, I am the administrator.

I have had this problem for over 6 months, many things have been added/deleted from this computer during this time. I don't think I can attribute this problem to anything that has been recently done.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 05:40:54 PM »
      Download HijackThis:
      http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
      Click on Download HijackThis Installer
      Post HijackTHis log.

8bamboos

Rookie

• If one steals from another, somebody else will ste
        « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 03:48:55 AM »
        please read this.....
        Steps to resolve the problem
        To resolve this problem, follow these steps.
         Back to the top
        Step 1: Open a blank page in Internet Explorer 7
        Test Internet Explorer 7 by opening a blank page. To do this, follow these steps:
        1.   Click Start, click Run, type iexplore about:blank in the Open box, and then click OK.
        2.   If Internet Explorer does not start, go to "Step 3: Start Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-ons' mode." If Internet Explorer starts correctly, follow these steps to use a blank page as your home page:
        a.    On the toolbar, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
        b.    On the General tab, note the address that is listed in the Home page area. This address may cause the problem.
        c.    Click Use Blank, and then click OK.
        d.    Close Internet Explorer. Then, start Internet Explorer again.

Back to the top
        Step 2: Remove temporary Internet files, browsing history data, and Web form data
        To remove temporary Internet files, browsing history data, and Web form data, follow these steps:
        1.   Start Internet Explorer.
        2.   On the toolbar, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
        3.   On the General tab, click Delete in the Browsing history area.
        4.   In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click Delete files, and then click Yes in the Delete Files dialog box.
        5.   Click Delete cookies, and then click Yes in the Delete Cookies dialog box.
        6.   Click Delete history, and then click Yes in the Delete History dialog box.
        7.   Click Delete forms and then click Yes in the Delete Form Data dialog box.
        8.   Click Close, and then click OK.
        Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly. If problems still occur, go to the next step.
         Back to the top
        Step 3: Start Internet Explorer 7 in "No Add-ons" mode
        To start Internet Explorer 7 in "No Add-ons" mode, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If the problem does not occur after you use this method, use Manage Add-ons to determine which add-ons are causing the problem. To do this, follow these steps:
        1.   Click Tools on the Internet Explorer toolbar, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons.
        2.   Click the name of the add-on at the top of the Enabled list, and then click Disable in the Settings area.
        3.   Click OK, and then test Internet Explorer.
        4.   If the problem still occurs, open Manage Add-ons, enable the add-on that you disabled in step 2, and then repeat steps 1 to 3 for the next add-on in the Enabled list.
        5.   Repeat steps 1 to 3 until the problem is resolved or until all the add-ons have been tested.
         Back to the top
        Step 4: Use another user name to log on to Windows
        Using a different user name and password to log on to Windows can help determine whether this problem occurs only when you use a particular user account. After you log on, test Internet Explorer to see whether the problem still occurs.
         Back to the top
        Step 5: Reset Internet Explorer settings
        To reset Internet Explorer settings, follow these steps:
        1.   Start Internet Explorer.
        2.   Click Tools on the toolbar, and then click Internet Options.
        3.   On the Advanced tab, click Reset, and then click OK.
        4.   Test Internet Explorer to determine whether the problem is resolved.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/2balls.jpg[/IMG]

Life is all about *censored*; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one

Regular Guy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
          To All,

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I ran 4-5 different Spyware programs on my computer. It seems each one of them found something different. I then reinstalled IE7. Now it works.

Thanks

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
          Good news :)