Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: desktop appearance  (Read 6618 times)

evie

desktop appearance
« on: April 01, 2005, 06:08:07 PM »
Bought a Dell Latitude C600 from eBay.  Installed Win 2000 and a wireless card.  Everything is cool.  But, the desktop is a small square in the middle, doesn't cover the whole 15".  Help????

gussery

Re: desktop appearance
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 07:46:21 PM »
Either you installed the wrong video driver....or
Didn't install the video driver.....or
You are running at the wrong resolution.
Laptops support very specific video resolutions and anything outside this range will give you odd results like you are seeing.

evie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 07:53:47 PM »
I'm sure you're right about installing the wrong driver.  But can you tell me the right one to install -where to find it?

Many thanks!

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 08:07:09 PM »
Dell computers have service tags on them somewhere, normally the bottom on a laptop.  Find the service tag, go to support.dell.com, enter the service tag there and it will tell you what it shipped with and what drivers you need.  The site also has the drivers there for you to download.  You can also get system manual downloads, etc.

evie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 08:11:12 PM »
Thanks!!! I have located the service tag -and will do as you suggest, but worry that since this is an older Dell that I bought used, perhaps the "support" won't be there.  Will give it my best shot.  Many thanks--smiles

gussery

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 08:14:36 PM »
I pull up old Dell systems on that site all the time.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 03:15:33 PM »
Wow! Sounds like Dell has good support! (Unlike Gateway...  >:(  ) lol  This makes me more excited to get my Dell! (This summer)  ;D

[glb]Flame[/glb]

gussery

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 06:13:19 PM »
Their phone support is merely OK these days since they outsourced it, but once you get past the first line phone support they are excellent.

Their web support is the best I've seen.  I can still find the original system specs for individual computers they shipped 10 years ago and drivers too.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 07:15:06 PM »
Wow! Now that's support!  ;)  gateway makes you LOOK for your yourself... They actually have no idea which driver you are SUPPOSED to use... Dangerous, huh? lol    ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]