Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wattage/amperage measuring program?  (Read 2742 times)

Dead_reckon

Wattage/amperage measuring program?
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
Is there a program out there that can monitor the amount of wattage and amperage a power supply puts out? I think my 550W Rosewill SP550 PSU is being overloaded by my 8800GS 384MB 192 bit GPU, the PSU only puts out 18A on each rail also. The GPU eats about 20A, so I'm thinking that the PSU is to blame for the black screen's I've been getting. So I was looking to find a program to see how much wattage the PSU is really putting out and how much of it is really being used. Dunno if the motherboard is even capable of sensing wattage, but I thought I'd ask. My power supply overheats while playing Fallout 3, pretty sure my power hungry 8800GS is at fault.

My desktops specs are:
Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHz/533FSB/2MB L2
LGA775 Foxconn M7VMX-K series M-ATX motherboard with the nVidia nForce 7050/610i chipset
XFS 8800GS 384MB 192 bit PCI-E x16 2.0 GPU
D-Link Air Plus G DWL-G510 PCI WIC
Primary HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 2.5" SATA150
Secondary HDD: Western Digital WD3200JB 320GB 3.5" IDE
Optical drive: Lite-On LDW-811S IDE DVD burner
And finally, my desktop has 9 fans cooling it, soon to be 10 or 11 when i install a couple side panel fans.
I'll list the fans below, 'cause, maybe one of you will be able to tell how much power I'll really need.
2x 80mm front intake fans
1x 80mm top exhaust fan
1x rear 92mm exhaust fan
1x 92mm CPU heatsink fan
1x 40mm chipset heatsink fan
1x 50mm mosfet fan
1x 50mm GPU fan (built into heatsink)
1x 120mm PSU fan (built into power supply)
I'm installing a 70mm side intake fan to cool the GPU, and a 92mm side intake to blow over the chipset as soon as i get more dremel cutting discs. And, yes, the desktop sounds a bit like an overgrown Hair Drier. I usually listen to music or have headphones on while gaming, so it don't matter.

One reason why I'm curious as to if a computer can detect wattage is because my Dell Inspiron 1720 notebook seems capable of detecting how many watts the power brick its plugged into puts out. I know this from accidentally plugging my bro's 50W school laptop adapter into it,  it needs a 90W adapter, so when I booted it beeped at me while showing a black screen with white lettering telling me to ensure the power adapter puts out 90W or more. So obviously the laptop can detect the input from the power brick. There is no sensor wire on the adapters, it must have some sensor for wattage. The question is, do desktop motherboards have the same capability to detect wattage?

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wattage/amperage measuring program?
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:25:51 PM »
    Some do.  Check your BIOS.  There may be an option showing power supply voltages.  If they're bouncing all over the place, then the power supply may be going bad.
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Dead_reckon

Re: Wattage/amperage measuring program?
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »
    Already have checked the BIOS, in it and windows the voltages are stable unless I overload it by gaming. Its the amount of wattage and amperage the GPU sucks up that I'm worried about.