Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening dot files  (Read 3668 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Opening dot files
    « on: December 17, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
    My computer came with Micro Office installed with a free 30 day trial. After the trial period I didn't buy because I didn't need it. Later I decided to delete the software to free up space. Now I can't open dot files. Do I need Office installed in order to open dot files? Thanks.

Raptor

Re: Opening dot files
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »
    Go to folder options in your control panel (Assuming you're using XP) and correct the problem by setting a new program to open .dot files with.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:16:35 PM »
      Go to folder options in your control panel (Assuming you're using XP) and correct the problem by setting a new program to open .dot files with.

Thanks Raptor. I do have XP. I added the dot file and selected IE because it was the recommended program. I still couldn't open the dot files. However, while doing this I noticed I didn't have doc files either. So, I added the doc file type and the run program was automatically set as WordPad. Now I can open doc files - so I have made some progress.

I changed the run program from IE to Adobe for the dot extension just to experiment. When I tried to open the dot file I got a message saying Adobe couldn't open the file because of several possible reasons, eg the file was originally an attachment to an email, etc.

Then I changed the dot program to WordPad. I can now open the dot files but they contain jibberish in some spots but look good in others.

Any other suggestions?
      « Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:29:52 PM by artbuc »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »
      Since it's Word Document Template, I don't think, you can open it with anything else, but Word.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:42:24 AM »
      Since it's Word Document Template, I don't think, you can open it with anything else, but Word.

WRONG! *POP*

Oh wait, you're right! Well that's refreshing for a change!

You're indeed going to need Microsoft Office to open .dot files.
      Although you could see if any of the free Office packages (IE: Open Office) works.