Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Thermal Throttling & Case Open Status  (Read 4427 times)

Raptor

CPU Thermal Throttling & Case Open Status
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:02:46 PM »
I have a Gigabyte 7N400Pro mainboard and these two BIOS options have been bugging me for quite a while:

1. What is CPU Thermal Throttling and how can I make most efficient use of it.. Whatever it is supposed to do? It is now set at 50%. (Standard setting)

2. What does the Case Open Status do? (Under PC Health)

Technical support did not 'understand' my questions they had no idea where to find these options. They never E-mailed me back after I had given them a very clear explanation of where to find them. Teaching the teacher. Ironic.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CPU Thermal Throttling & Case Open Status
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:19:41 PM »
    Raptor .....Don't know if this will assist ...but have a read.

CPU Thermal Throttling
    This BIOS feature determines the clock speed of the processor when it is in the Suspend To RAM (STR) power saving mode. It has no effect when the processor is in normal active mode.
    Available options for this BIOS feature are set values of the processor's power consumption. They range from a low of 12.5% to a high of 87.5%. Please note that these options reflect the desired power consumption of the processor, not its clock speed. The clock speed of the processor will be determined based on the option chosen.

The default setting is usually 62.5%. This means the processor will be running at a clock speed that allows it to use 37.5% less power.

The choice of what you should set the processor to run at is really up to you. The lower the value, the more power you will save when the processor is in Suspend To RAM mode. Generally, it would be nice to minimize power consumption while in Suspend To RAM mode. The only potential drawback might be a slightly longer time required to bring the processor back to speed.

It is common for this BIOS feature to be mistaken as a BIOS control for the Pentium 4's Thermal Monitor feature. However, the clock throttling provided by this BIOS feature is completely different from the Pentium 4's Thermal Monitor feature.

Case open status ........ Haven't got a clue ...but will turn over a few rocks and see what I can find ......LOL

Cheers

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
    Hey, DL65.

I found the exact same response whilst doing a Google search. It seems to be the only article ever documented about CPU Thermal Throttling. I understand what is written there, but what would Suspend to RAM do?

Case Open Status detects if the case is open or closed.. I understand that much.. But what good does it do and how does it know if the case door is open or closed?

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
    Servers have been know to use the case open as it creates a bios log and warning message to let you know someone has opened your server case in your absence.  Sort of a security thing.  It may have other uses..............