Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop rattling  (Read 5733 times)

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Laptop rattling
    « Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »
    That sounds like your hard drive.
    Well.. why isn't my hard drive LED glowing up when the sound happens then?
    I need to be sure of this.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 07:54:50 AM »
    Ok, check it then.

Flip the laptop over slowly (and turned on), and find out where the sound is coming from.
    Now turn off the computer, and then remove the cover closest to where the sound is coming from.
    It should look something like this:
    http://bixnet.net/images/Installation-HPzd8000HD1.jpg

Once you remove the cover and if it exposes the Hard Drive, then my suspicions would be correct.

If not, well...we'll go from there.

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:13 AM »
      Removing or unscrewing anything will damage the warranty sticker and thus..
      I'm stuck.
      I've asked a few people and they say it's the fan.

I need to be 100% sure what it is.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:32 AM »
      It sounds like the HD, but i'm not there so I cannot be sure.

Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing we can do.

Go get it repaired for free. It's much better than busting the warranty and making matters worse.

Dias de verano

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:16 AM »
      I need to be 100% sure what it is.

If you have a warranty let the repair engineer be 100% sure.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:03 AM »
      I personally know 4 people who attempted repairs on their laptops before they called me and voided their Warranties...
      3 of them now have expensive paperweights.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
        I could very well be totally off base here BUT= I have the impression (going back to the poster's comments in the 1st  few posts) that there is a problem with the circumstances of the original purchase and the potential for return/warranty issues. Sure hope I'm wrong.truenorth

Dias de verano

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
        I could very well be totally off base here BUT= I have the impression (going back to the poster's comments in the 1st  few posts) that there is a problem with the circumstances of the original purchase and the potential for return/warranty issues. Sure hope I'm wrong.truenorth

Yes. Consider this:

A while after I bought my MSI VR610 laptop, it started rattling and making really loud, painful noises (it sounds like it's coming from the fans that are tilted a bit). I took this laptop to the computer store where I bought it, the tech guy kept it in his basement for three weeks and didn't even touch it, saying he 'fixed' it, which makes me a very unsatisfied customer.

There is a great deal that is mysterious about this matter. We do not know what type of store this was, whether it was a big well known chain like Circuit City or Currys Digital or PC World, or even what country. If it was a used laptop from Srivam's Used Computer Shack in Chittagong, then as you say the potential for return or honouring of warranty may be severely limited. Treval, get your dad to come with you carrying a lathi stick! Also, it is unclear just how exactly the OP "knows" that "the tech guy" kept the laptop in his basement for 3 weeks without doing anything.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:47:20 PM by Dias de verano »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:37 PM »
        Neon Golden...nice choice !

My current one: OvO' by Gabriel.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Treval

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »
          We do not know what type of store this was
          I am trying to keep my calm mood here because I am a very upset customer (not to you, but to the guy who sold me the laptop). Here is the website: http://www.cozaki.be
          I have asked him if he would repair my laptop. He looked with disrespect at me like I'm some chump and lifted his shoulders up saying: "er, no O.o", while his PC store BLATANTLY DISPLAYS in BIG LETTERS: "REPAIR ALL COMPUTERS" and I refer to their service here: http://www.cozaki.be/index.php?repair

He makes all his customers angry and disappointed, I've seen it with my own eyes. A customer comes in with his drive he bought there and he would like some IDE cables for it and the guy just says "er no, we don't sell that and I don't feel like ordering it and just sent the poor customer away." It's stupid because one of my friends recommended me this PC store saying it's really good. Well *censored*, it's CRAP. Sorry for the language here.

First time I came into that store and told my name, he scribbled it down with some pen on some left over piece of paper, then wrote my name 4 times wrong, scratched it all over the paper, and finally had to go get his 16 year old son to do the actual input on the computer. =/
          The next time I come in and bring in the laptop, first he disapproves me of buying compressed air "no, I'm not a fan of that and we don't sell that here" and then he suggests he 'fixes' my laptop by sending it in to MSI and having them replace the fan. He puts a note on my laptop and keeps it aside saying: "I'll call you when it's back, should take just a week or so, maybe more, dunno".
          I wait two painful weeks having to go to college without my laptop almost causing me to fail my courses.
          I decide to call the store and the guy picked up and I clearly said my name and customerID and he was like "errr... and you are?" and I freakin' mentioned the laptop too. Then after a while of stumbling he finally gets what's going on and he says "you'll have to wait some more it's not ready yet".
          So then another painful week later I decide to go to the store because it's taking too long and it's jeopardizing my college education.
          He goes get the laptop from the basement, comes back with it and tells me all proudly he fixed the screws on the monitor because it has been 'out of balance' too much. In my opinion all he did was 'pretend' he was fixing it just screwing once or twice on my monitor and giving the laptop back to me.
          He said: "You should've asked for it earlier you know O.o".
          Whereas I replied: "yeah? Well I called you sir, last week."
          He was like: "You did? Errr... really? I must've been confused back then."
          Wow, that's SOME owner. =/
          I asked him what has been wrong with the laptop and he says: "Oh, yeah the fan was tilted a bit so I fixed thaaaaat aaaand, yeah I fixed your monitor. -smile- so if you have any more questions come back, and I'll fix it for free." At that time I was so angry I could've smacked him.

I come back out with the laptop, come home, turn it on, and NOTHING  was fixed. The SAME sound rattled through my laptop all over. It's like he did nothing to it. Yeah fixed it my *censored*..
          I have another two major courses coming up for college and I don't want to risk having my laptop taken away for another few weeks without *censored* being done to it.
          This owner is NOT reliable.

Anyway PC store info: it's an unpopular PC store where they sell NEW laptops (such as mine) along with crap second hand laptops (a second hand PII with linux for 300 euros LOL!!). Also when I first bought the laptop, first of all, he didn't accept bank card payment, because 'his machine was broken' and second of all he sold me the laptop without box, without documents and threw in a couple of loose Vista DVD's. No manual, no nothing. It's the same as going to somebody's house and he just throws the laptop at you. :')
          No warranty documents, just an invoice and that's it.

how exactly the OP "knows" that "the tech guy" kept the laptop in his basement for 3 weeks without doing anything.
          It was my impression since when I returned from the store with the laptop, it showed the exact same problem as if the laptop hasn't been touched. Also, the sticker on the bottom hasn't been tampered with, and you can't unscrew things without tampering with it. So I don't know.

Treval

Dias de verano

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 07:06:53 AM »
          Your problem is really legal, not technical. In my country the local councils (mairies) have an office called Trading Standards who will investigate complaints, or maybe you need to go to court.

But this is not good for your legal argument

I ran with it frequently