Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is Linux  (Read 5216 times)

compguy4hire

What is Linux
« on: April 10, 2005, 06:32:04 PM »
Sorry to say this in a Linux forum, but what is Linux? I am only familiar with macs and microsoft, so what is it?  ???

gussery

Re: What is Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 07:17:52 PM »
It is an alternate Operating System for a PC or server.  It is open source which, at least in theory, means that it is free and the user community contributes to it's development by giving their time free.

Now several companies have taken it and added their own little twists.  So they sell the OS with their additions (only charging for thier additions).  These are normally called 'distros' or distributions.

It is similar to Unix.  While it works well and the price is right, you have to do the work and understand the loading of the OS, find your own drivers, find your own software, predetermine drive partitions, understand root access, etc.   So it is not for the timid.

If you have a spare computer laying around, doesn't have to be real powerful either, then it is quite educational to play around with.  Just be prepared to reload your OS many times, until you get it the way you want it, especially if you are just learning.  There are many free versions around so the education is pretty cheap.

compguy4hire

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »
Why would you want to have it if you can just get microsoft? What is the advantage because it seems like a lot of work to me...

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:05:55 PM »
It is the "anti-Microsoft".
Some people don't want the overhead of Windows.
Some people just don't like Microsoft.
Some people would like to control more of what the computer does.
Some people think it is more secure than Microsoft (my opinion is that the virus writers just haven't targeted it yet since Microsoft is such a big target).
Basically it is free if you really want it to be, whereas Windows can cost hundreds of dollars.
On and on and on..........

Doomsday_J

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:44:38 AM »
I think it is fun to play with a new operating System. You can download a version of Linux called Knoppix, It runs right from your cdrom. Its very similar to windows but its free. :)