Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: blown up my monitor..please help  (Read 3705 times)

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

blown up my monitor..please help
    « on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
    i was using a Lenovo desktop with a 12 V DC TFT monitor..it was all fine till I decided to use the TFT monitor with another desktop which don't have the 12 V DC socket in its SMPS.. ??? ???.that time I didn't care to check the voltage rating at the monitor's back pannel and plugged it directly into the 220 V AC supply. :o now its not showing anything in the screen..only some strange lines..please tell me what has actually happened to it..and how much will it cost to repair it... ??? ???
    i think only the power circuit board inside has blown up..replacing or fixing it may work...please guide me..  :'( :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: blown up my monitor..please help
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:07:22 AM »
    i was using a Lenovo desktop with a 12 V DC TFT monitor..it was all fine till I decided to use the TFT monitor with another desktop which don't have the 12 V DC socket in its SMPS.. ??? ???.that time I didn't care to check the voltage rating at the monitor's back pannel and plugged it directly into the 220 V AC supply. :o now its not showing anything in the screen..only some strange lines..please tell me what has actually happened to it..and how much will it cost to repair it... ??? ???
    i think only the power circuit board inside has blown up..replacing or fixing it may work...please guide me..  :'( :'(

what your saying doesn't really make sense- monitors plug into wall sockets for their power, not into the computer.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:14:07 AM »
      for my lenovo tft there was a plug or socket given in the cabinet smps itself whose voltage rating was 12 v

but i did some alteration n plugged the monitor power cable (which was supposed to get 12 v dc) to full 220 V main supply

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:31:41 AM »
      Still doesn't make sense...are you saying the alternate AC power plug on the PSU is putting out 220V AC ? ?
      Try connecting the monitor to a standard surge protector that is plugged into the wall socket...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:13 AM »
      I think this is the key phrase:
      but i did some alteration

Why? Why hook up something designed for 12V DC to 220Volts AC? How can one even fathom that working?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »
        I think this is the key phrase:
        but i did some alteration

Why? Why hook up something designed for 12V DC to 220Volts AC? How can one even fathom that working?

i did not know that it runs on 12 V only..i just didn't check that

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
          now pls tell me guys..what to do..anyone versed with TFT power circuitry..i hav opened up the housing..i can see the power receiving PCB..but no sign of burn or damage due to short circuit is there.. ::)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »
            Just on the off chance we are talking about the same thing. I believe that what you claim to have done is plugged the monitor (which you claim is designed to work only on a 12vdc power supply)into a European 220v wall outlet. If that is true you may be lucky enough that there could be an internal fuse that will blow (to prevent damage to the rest of the monitor). If your lucky that can be replaced and your back in business.If you have the manual for the monitor it should mention and give the location of the fuse. If not contact the manufacturer of the monitor or try a google search on the monitor for a manual.goodluck,truenorth

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:50 AM »
              If that is true you may be lucky enough that there could be an internal fuse that will blow (to prevent damage to the rest of the monitor). If your lucky that can be replaced and your back in business.If you have the manual for the monitor it should mention and give the location of the fuse. If not contact the manufacturer of the monitor or try a google search on the monitor for a manual.goodluck,truenorth

thanks truenorth.. :)

I searched the internet for the manual(Lenovo TFT Monitor 41A4320) ..but in vain
              here is a pic of the power supply..i can't find a fuse here..but a burned C5706 Power IC..magnified in the pic below..i guess replacing this may fix the problem..

one more thing ..i hav another monitor of the same model..can i use its power supply to ensure that its a power suppply problem only..i mean is there any danger substituting the part??..both the monitors r just identical..

[attachment deleted by admin]

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:04:10 AM »
                the black spots of burn..

[attachment deleted by admin]

JJ 3000

Egghead
                • Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:31:26 AM »
                If you have another monitor, then why not just use that one?
                Seems easier than taking it apart to fix the other monitor.
                Save a Life!
                Adopt a homeless pet.
                http://www.petfinder.com/

amitmula

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 04:00:12 AM »
                  If you have another monitor, then why not just use that one?
                  Seems easier than taking it apart to fix the other monitor.

because thats not mine but my friend's monitor...

Blade285

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
                    i wouldn't take that apart, it could void any warranty (if there is any)
                    i wouldn't let anyone take apart my monitors... there's no point risking breaking two.
                    'Have you tried turning it on and off? Have you checked it's plugged in?'- The IT Crowd automated help system

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
                      Given that you are obviously not intimidated by the repair option (since you were prepared to cannibalize from a Friend's monitor to try and fix yours) i suggest that you purchase the "burned" IC chip and remove the current one and replace it with a new one.The cost of the chip will be minimal from an electronics supplier. Of course i am sure that you realize that this might not be the only damaged component (only the one you see). There are some things that you must be carefull to avoid IE: touching any part of the internal power supply unit as very high voltages can be stored in them long after they are shut off. If you have the equipment to discharge that voltage i would recommend it unless your damaged chip is well removed from that area.If this attempt does not repair the monitor you will either have to continue to search for and replace possible other damaged components or ultimately replace the monitor.However as the monetary investment to try the chip replacement is so small i suggest try it. You might get lucky. Maybe in the circuitry of that monitor that is the point that is designed to fail under extreme voltages and is the equivalent as to what a fuse would do.Fingers crossed.let us know how it goes.truenorth