Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DOS prompt  (Read 3456 times)

Econdy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

DOS prompt
    « on: January 13, 2009, 04:09:58 AM »
    I know that the ' cd ' is used to change directories in DOS mode in Windows XP.  Is it possible to set the DOS command window to start with a different prompt to that in which it opens currently? If it currently opens with C:\Documents and Settings\Owner_ how can this be permanently set to open with C:\ _ ?

Thanks and kind regards

gpl

Apprentice
      Re: DOS prompt
      « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:35 AM »
      Create a shortcut, with the target being
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /K cd  /d c:\

If you leave off the c:\ at the end and put the shortcut in your Send To folder, you can right click on a folder in Explorer and select Send To | shortcut name and a dos window will open with that drive and folder as the current drive and folder

Graham

Econdy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: DOS prompt in Send To folder
        « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
        Having created the required desktop shortcut, leaving out the end c:\,   I transferred it to the 'Send To' folder in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.   I opened Explorer from Start---Run ---explorer---OK.   Then I right clicked on my Java folder to access the Send To sub-menu option.  The pop-up menu froze for 3 to 5 minutes when the Send To sub-option was selected, but no sub-menu choice appeared this time. I'd be most grateful for your further kind help, if possible.
        Thanks again.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        Re: DOS prompt
        « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
        if you want it on the send-to menu, you should create a small batch file with this content:

Code: [Select]
        @echo off
        cmd /D /K "%1"

place the batch file in your "send to" folder, and give it a name such as "command prompt here"
        it should work now.

However, you might also want to investigate this:

http://www.petri.co.il/add_command_prompt_here_shortcut_to_windows_explorer.htm

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:01:33 PM by BC_Programmer »
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Econdy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: DOS prompt -batch file
          « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
          Just like to thank you for your most kind help.  The freezing of the PC has stopped when selecting the Send To sub-option.  The expected sub-menu choice appeared this time.  This will make my Java lessons more interesting. Thanks again

Econdy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: DOS prompt from/at Send-To menu
            « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »
            Although the batch file worked perfectly on a standby PC, it did not remedy the problem on another PC. On this other PC the pop-up menu freezes for up to 5 minutes when the Send To sub-option is selected after right clicking an icon, even on the desktop.  I am greatful for the help and would most appreciate further help/suggestions to understand the cause of this ongoing problem.  Thanks again and kind regards.