Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost hard drive space capacity.  (Read 2574 times)

Eddyscomputopia

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Lost hard drive space capacity.
    « on: January 17, 2009, 07:36:16 AM »
    Re: Lost Hard drive space.

Dell: T-600 XPS Desktop.
    Hard drive: 20gb.
    Windows: 98SE.
    Ram: 768mb.

Dear Computer Hope Community:

I had recently performed a "Webroot Erase drive" cleanout of the whole hard drive in order to start anew. I utilized their function known as the Guttman method, which entailes 35 passes to completely erase all data permanently. This is better than just reformating the hard drive, of which this is not guaranteed to eliminate all of the prior data.

Upon my reinstallation of the Windows operating system, I had checked the storage capacity on my hard drive and I have lost 18 gb, or it had indicated that the drive has only 2 gb instead of 20 gb.

Could someone who is familiar with such, please explain what had occurred and how to solve this mystery. This will be very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Eddy.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Lost hard drive space capacity.
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:45:39 AM »
    During reinstall of OS be sure to delete all prior partitions prior to installation. It should come up and state that it found a FAT32 partition or other partition type and delete to delete this and create a new one. You should then get your full storage capacity back, less than 20gb but greater than 17gb due to the 1000 = 1024 mislead of drive manufacturers.