Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual Basic Help  (Read 3428 times)

Journeyman98

Visual Basic Help
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
Hello
I'm new to this forum and to visual basic programming.  I'm trying compile a DVD for a back up type disc that once I reinstall Windows on my machine, I can insert this DVD and all the programs I use are on it and available for install.  I have a program that I am using to make a menu that uses "buttons" that point to the setup files in the different folders on the DVD.  I also have files that I want to keep that I modified while using these programs, basically config files, but when a new install occurs, the programs install generic files. 

What I would like to accomplish (this is the preferred way) is to have one of the buttons on my menu run a program that opens a window that asks you what drive letter your cd-rom is and the directory to which you want to copy the files.

Is this possible with visual basic?  I've seen where a simple batch file can copy files from one folder to another, but how do you tell it to pick the DVD drive letter and how do you tell it to select the proper directory if it's not known? 

Thank you for any help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Visual Basic Help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »
There is a box that lets the user pick a directory. But if you only want a drive letter maybe you have to make you own box. What version of Visual Basic? The newer versions are just too over loaded with stuff. An early version, like Visual Basic 5 is better as a learning tool. :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Visual Basic Help
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:54:20 AM »
like Visual Basic 5 is better as a learning tool. :)

Agree completely. Visual Basic 5 has a free "Control creation" edition, and VB6 has a "Learning edition".

There are ways to compile the programs as well, since- strangely enough, they use the very same C/C++ compiler that VIsual C++ uses(which also has a free version... probably hard to find now, though)!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.