Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My dads computer is a failure  (Read 2557 times)

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
    • PIC Programming New Zealand
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
My dads computer is a failure
« on: January 26, 2009, 12:54:20 AM »
My dad has a computer, windows xp SP2, 512ram, 2.5ghz processor. For the five months or so it would completely fail, need to have everything pulled out of it abd put back into it, and then it would work again for another month or so. Today it failed again, and I pulled stuff out and put stuff back in again and it didn't go anymore. Dad has work on his HDD, so I switched it to one of our other computers, 256 ram, I forget the processor, and now? It just restarts, again and again, and each time it says "windows failed to start up on the previous load" or some such thing and offers a set of options. I tried safe mode, that printed a whole load of what appeared to be commands (along the lines of "partition(0) multi(some number) [some other stuff] C:\Windows\somefolder\somefile.sys")
And then it restarted again.

Any ideas?

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: My dads computer is a failure
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
Ok, looking at it some more, it says it could be because of a "recent hardware or software change."
Well, I'd say putting the HDD as the master in another computer would be the former of those two options. Also, in safe mode the lines look more like:

[name](number)[name](number)[name](number)[name](number)\WINDOWS\DRIVERS\name.sys

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:08:30 AM »
It used to be an acer computer, and its an acer hdd, and now its on a compaq motherboard. Would this cause conflicts?

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
    It used to be an acer computer, and its an acer hdd, and now its on a compaq motherboard. Would this cause conflicts?

different hardware so you need to do a repair/install of the operating system..

Good Luck

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
    Don't worry. For no reason whatsoever when I put everything back in the acer thismorning it went perfectly. *Rolls eyes*