Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: salut  (Read 2391 times)

mlarrys80

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

salut
    « on: January 30, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
    hi there.
    am using a normal desktop and my brother is using a laptop, i connected a lexmark printer to my desktop with a usb cable, sometimes my brother want to print some documents from his laptophow can i do that?both machine are connected to modem(mecer)the  laptop is connected using a usb cable.

xavier

Re: salut
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »
    Go to control panel click on printers [ add]

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
      salut,The 2 computers will need to be joined by a network. This can be done with an ethernet cable connection. Then you will need to set up a "printer sharing" protocol on the network (designating one of the computers as main and the other as slave or client).However given the portability of a laptop it may be more functional for you to simply install the software for the printer on both machines and disconnect/connect as required. It would depend on how often these 2 computers are used for printing and how much of a need (other than printing) they need to share things between each other. truenorth

mlarrys80

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »
        ok. am not that good in networking. so the ethernet cable should be a cross over cable, right?what the modem, cos my desktop is connected to the modem using a network cable. can disconnect the internet while am connecting the two computer, cos there is only one network card at the back of the desktop?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
          when you refer to your connection to the internet = are we talking about a DSL ,cable connection or a 56k modem? If your Ethernet card is being used by your internet connection and only one plug in is available then you will need to either install a 2ND ethernet card for the networking or you will need to free up the ethernet by transferring your internet connection to a wireless router setup. The 2ND ethernet card would be less expensive. However i believed that most ethernet cards have 2 accessibility ports. truenorth

mlarrys80

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

salut
            « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:47:11 AM »
            hi there!
            my netwotk card has only one ethernet accessibility and two USBs. I will then try and put a second network card. so tell me do both computer necessarily need to be on the internet while am putting them on a network, for me to add the printer?
            thx.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 12:38:45 PM »
              mlarrys80. No absolutely not. In fact neither has to be on the internet.Your purpose is to enable 2 computers to use (share) the same printer. No internet connection is required for that. remember when setting up your network to designate one computer (i suggest the desktop) as the main computer (i believe the actual term is "home") then the laptop will be a 'client' computer.You will probably already have your printer connected and functioning with your desktop  so you will need to set up a "share printer" configuration. If you run into trouble or have questions setting up the printer share let us know.goodluck truenorth

mlarrys80

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Salut
                « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
                Thx a lot let me try that. chat to you very soon truenorth.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »
                  mlarrys80, In case you are not familiar with how to create a "network" here are some tutorials.
                  1.http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx
                  2. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
                  3. http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-vista/share-a-printer/
                  4. http://www.consideritfixed.com/2007/04/printer_sharing.html
                  I suggest looking at #4 1st as there seems to be a recognized problem when one of the 2 computers wishing to share a printer is using a "vista"o/s. However a solution is provided in the article.This may or may not occur in your case as i believe the desktop is using a version of XP and the laptop is on vista. Keep us informed as to how it works out. truenorth