Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Computer  (Read 2261 times)

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Slow Computer
    « on: February 04, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
    Hi - I have had a sudden problem with my main pc.  Last evening, when I started the computer, I left for a few moments and came back, and I noticed that the computer still had not reached the welcome page (using XP).  It was still lagging at the main "Windows" opening (with the scrolling bar at the bottom) far, far longer than it normally does. 

So, I decided to re-boot (this time, making sure to watch what was happening closely).  The startup appeared to be completely normal - including the initial Windows opening screen.  The scrolling bar was even moving at the normal rate...

..then I noticed that the screen went blank for just a fraction of a second, and then came back.  However, the scrolling bar then started to move noticeably slower. 

I eventually reached the desktop, but the entire process of reaching the desktop took way, way too long.  I tried loading a number of programs - including Mozilla and Internet Explorer, and both programs loaded so slow that the browers would state that the could not load the webpages.

I also noticed that the opening bit of music comes out of the speakers a little choppy.

I do know that this is not related to anything with the internet connection as I am using the same connection here on my secondary pc.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice as to what might be wrong here.  My instincts are telling me that it may be a bad power supply - but any advice here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

xavier

Re: Slow Computer
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »
    Could be many things causing this pblm: do a virus scan> delete programs you are no longer using> defrag>temp files>are you using more than 1 anti virus & firewall? From run type in chkdsk /r

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
      I did a virus scan a few days ago, but I suppose I could try another one.   I only have one antivirus/firewall running.  I did a defrag recently as well.  I also don't hold any software that I don't use, but I also don't have my harddrive anywhere near filled.

I am unsure if this relates at all to software - my computer went from running like a champ one afternoon to running like a complete snail a few hours later.

xavier

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
      Did you do a chkdsk /r from run?

xavier

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »
      Another thing to do from run is msconfig> start up> disable only the programs that you recognise & dont need

bo130

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:12:01 AM »
        O.k., so I decided to run checkdisk, and it did not report any problems.  I then decided to disconnect and pull the computer out thinking that I was going to have to do some work (and also to clean dust out from the inside).  I set the computer on its side and the I noticed something pretty incriminating.  My daughter had slapped one of her animal magnets on the lower part of the tower.  :)  I doubt that either of my hard drives appreciated this.  Anyway, I removed the magnet and the computer booted up and worked fine.   Anyway, I appreciate your help, Xavier.

xavier

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »
        What a fluke

whansen02

Greenhorn
          « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »
          So why not refomat?  ???
          I seem to be reformatting every year or so.
          As soon as I notice a slow down in performance.
          ccna certification training kits

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 01:39:55 AM »
          This might be the culprit...PIO Mode  ;D

click start, then right click on my computer, select properties.
          Click the hardware tab.
          Click device manager.
          Expand the IDE/ATAPI controllers.
          right click the primary IDE channel and select properties.
          Under the advanced settings tab, note the 'mode' the drive is operating in.
          If it is anything like PIO mode, close that window, right click the controller again, and uninstall it.
          You will get a warning about uninstalling it, just click OK
           do the same with the secondary one, just to be safe..

Reboot and report back :)

foggs

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 06:16:04 AM »
            O.k., so I decided to run checkdisk, and it did not report any problems.  I then decided to disconnect and pull the computer out thinking that I was going to have to do some work (and also to clean dust out from the inside).  I set the computer on its side and the I noticed something pretty incriminating.  My daughter had slapped one of her animal magnets on the lower part of the tower.  :)  I doubt that either of my hard drives appreciated this.  Anyway, I removed the magnet and the computer booted up and worked fine.   Anyway, I appreciate your help, Xavier.

i was slowly scrolling thru this thread thinking definitely hardware issue why is everyone offering a software solution. People sometimes forget that as tempermental as software can be sometimes, it still is nothing without the electronic hardware beneath, which no, do not take to well to nearby magnets. :) Happy for you it was an ez deal
            Foggs