Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless router keeps crashing  (Read 3609 times)

Astronut

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Wireless router keeps crashing
    « on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »
    I've got a WRT54GX4 Linksys wireless router, and every time I try turn on my laptop, the router crashes, freezes, locks up and has to be unplugged to reset to get it back.  I doesn't happen instantly.  I can be online for 5-10 minutes or so, then it locks up the router and I go unplug it for a minute, plug it back in, and everything works well for another 10 minutes or so.
    The laptop is using XP, and has worked perfectly at every wifi spot I've ever used it at.
    My desktop is Vista, and with a Netgear USB wireless adapter, and it works great.  But, even before I got the desktop, my laptop would not work for more than a few minutes, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.
    My guess, is that it is the router, since the laptop works well every where else, but, the router works just fine for my desktop, as long as I don't turn my laptop on.
    I've got another XP desktop wired to the router and it always works well too.
    So, I've got two desktops, one vista, one XP, one wired, one wireless, and they both work.  But my laptop seems to "freak out" the router?
    Everything is open and automatic settings on all the computers and the router, as I've read a few websites suggestions. 

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless router keeps crashing
    « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
    But, even before I got the desktop, my laptop would not work for more than a few minutes, so I don't think that has anything to do with it

Uuh... ???

Astronut

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
      I mean, that I tried my laptop, before I ever set up my new desktop computer, and it did exactly the same thing - work 10 minutes or so, then lock up the router.  So, I was just stating that I didn't think my new desktop which operates just fine wirelessly, wasn't affecting my router adversely.
      Even when I disconnect all desktops or have them off, my laptop will connect to the router, work a little while, then crash the router.
      Does that help clarify what I was trying to say?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
      Hmm.... a good used router is a lot less that a replacement laptop.
      So, I am with on this. Let's blame the router.
      My limited experience with routers has shown me that
      you just don't know until to try it.  :-\
      I have purchased used routers and hubs off of eBay that work as good as the ones you buy in the store.
      It would be nice if the retailers would put
      signs on the product like:
      Code: [Select]
             WARNING!
      Not recommended  for users
              who are
      Networking Challenged!
      :P