Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing drive letter with Partion Magic  (Read 2539 times)

dallaspeg

Changing drive letter with Partion Magic
« on: February 16, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »
Hi.
:-\ I need some more information on changing drive letters using Partition Magic.
I originally installed WinXP on drive H. Now I am able to use the drive letter C. When I try to change the drive letter I get this message:
This partition contains the windows directory. If you change the drive letter, your system may not boot. Continue with the drive letter change?
My question: Will the boot disks made with Partion Magic help me boot into C, after I change the drive letter?
Thank you for any and all help.
I have not found any answers on any other forum I've been to.

My computer:
Pentium 4 CPU 1.6GHz
1.50 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Partition Magic 8

CBSk

Beginner
  • Look for opportunities where I can help...
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Changing drive letter with Partion Magic
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:39 AM »
    Will the boot disks made with Partion Magic help me boot into C, after I change the drive letter?

The boot disks made with Partion Magic helps you to boot into DOS or which is available on that boot disk.

You can not boot into WinXP.

I am not recommend to change Windows Drive Letter. But you can try after taking backup
    Selvakumar CBSk

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Changing drive letter with Partion Magic
    « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »
    If your programs are also on H: they will not run either as that's where the registry points to as far as location...
    This is only one of the fun things that come as a result of a drive letter change.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "