Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Have TROHAN.VUNDO got WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION warning  (Read 3070 times)

newgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

Have TROHAN.VUNDO got WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION warning
    « on: March 05, 2009, 02:46:21 PM »
    I have:

Dell Dimension 4100
    Intel Pentium III
    Windows XP

Here is a link to my previous question from the other day, where I might have gotten this problem, in case you need to look at it:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e575b9ecf30f2808407441422a18770e&topic=78165.0

I run:

Free AVG daily (update daily also)
    CCleaner
    Malwarebytes Quick Scan daily
    Super Anti-Spyware Complete Scan every few days

This morning, before I went online, I downloaded updates and ran MALWAREBYTES Quick Scan and it told me I had 1 infection, so I removed it.

Then I ran the Quick Scan again, and the same infection showed up again, so I removed it.

Then I ran the Complete Scan and 7 infections showed up, so I removed them.

THEN a windows box popped up with the heading WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION and inside the box it said:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.  To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.  Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now.

Well, I don't have the CD.  I got this computer second-hand years ago.

So I clicked CANCEL and it asked me if I was sure I wanted to keep the unrecognized versions and I said yes.

So then I ran Malwarebytes Complete Scan again, and 3 infections showed up (all pertaining to 'restore'), and I deleted them.

This time I did not get the WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION warning.

Then I downloaded updates and ran Super AntiSpyware Complete Scan, and no infections were detected.

Then I downloaded updates to AVG and ran 'scan computer' and no threats were detected.

Even though all my scans show my computer is clear of infections, I am still very worried about that WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION warning, because now my computer has kept the unrecognized versions of files that are required for Windows to run properly.

I am afraid to even try to reboot my computer, fearing it won't boot up again.

I kept logs of every scan I ran for Malwarebytes and Hijack this (which I ran after I ran all the other scans):

[attachment deleted by admin]

newgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Have TROHAN.VUNDO got WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION warning
      « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:47:43 PM »
      The files are, in order:

1st Malwarebytes Quick Scan with 1 infection
      2nd Malwarebytes Quick Scan with 1 infection
      1st Malwarebytes Complete Scan with 7 infections
      Hijack This Log from after all scans were completed.

newgranny

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Have TROJAN.VUNDO got WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION warning
        « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
        Sorry, I think I may have given you two of the same Malwarebytes logs, here is the correct third log from the complete scan:

[attachment deleted by admin]