Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound/Audio issue..sort of a puzzler  (Read 3909 times)

LHC

Topic Starter

Rookie

Sound/Audio issue..sort of a puzzler
    « on: August 25, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »
    Here is the problem.  I have never used the microphone on this computer before.  I went the other day and plugged it into the 3.5 plug and went to test it.  When I opened up the sound recorder to record, the lines didn't move. I played it back and you could faintly hear the recording. I went into my sound volumes, made sure all the audio recording things were turned up.  Still same thing.  Plugged the microphone into the audio plug in the back..same issue..you could record, lines barely moved, but in playback you have to turn your volume up.

So..I installed the webcam that I normally use on the other computer, to see if the microphone that is built into was having an issue.  It works perfectly, while recording the lines moves etc and playback is how it should be.

Go out today buy a USB port microphone thinking perhaps it just the plug...nope...USB port micro doing same thing as it did with the plug.

Uninstalled the driver, downloaded the never version, guess what? Yep..same issue.

Is there a setting somewhere on this computer that is off and I just haven't located it?  I have to be honest and tell you that it is the darnest thing I have ever seen.

smeezekitty

Re: Sound/Audio issue..sort of a puzzler
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
    double click the speaker icon in the right boddem corner and turn the microphone
    slider all the way up

LHC

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
      Did...even went to the sound controls in the control panel and checked all the properties to make sure all the sliders were all the way up..just the darnest thing I have ever seen.

Also went and used a few extra microphones I got thinking perhaps it was one of them..wasn't.  Both front and back 3.5 jack do the same thing..

The only thing that I notice that is *odd* is that on the Realtek properties under the Audio properties it is greyed out so I can adjust those sliders, but the sliders under the control panel and speaker volume I can..and those bad babies are pushed up.

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:27 PM »
      i think this is how you on xp but i am not sure because i am using vista right now:
      right click on my computer click properties
      select the hardware tab
      click device manager
      expand the sound an video game catigory and is there any yellow or red marks next to the devices in the
      audio catigory?
      also choose your sound device click properties and on the drivers tab select update driver
      hope that helps
      my xp skills are alittle rusty

LHC

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:42 PM »
        Already did that to...no yellow highlighted area, searched to update driver....when that didn't work, I uninstalled driver, reinstalled it...still the same...hence I am totally puzzled by all of this..

smeezekitty

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
        i;m out of ideas
        wheres patio?