Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Professional Setup reports there's no HDD  (Read 2299 times)

richiehughes

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows XP Professional Setup reports there's no HDD
    « on: March 28, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »
    Hi there

I'm having a problem with one of my systems which is a DELL Optiplex GX260. It was running Windows XP Professional yesterday until today when I attempted to do a clean re-install of the OS. The reason I wanted to reinstall the OS is because the computer is second hand and I noticed a few errors in the installation.

Anyway, I put the OS installation disk into the disk drive, changed the BIOS to boot from CD first, got to the Windows XP Professional setup. It came to the part where it detects any partitions on the computer. It found the C partition where the old copy of the OS was. I deleted & formatted the partition but after doing this the Windows Setup came up with a message telling me that no hard drives were found on the system and to make sure all cables were connected and correctly setup in the BIOS. I know the cables and the setup in BIOS is going to be correct because it was working fine yesterday. The hard drive which is in this system is a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 - 40Gb.

I also noticed in the BIOS, where it says Hard Drive it has beside it (Not Installed)

I would appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just found out that this hard drive requires a serial ata controller. Does anyone have the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 serial ata controller that they could send me?
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:23:55 PM by richiehughes »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows XP Professional Setup reports there's no HDD
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:01:36 AM »
    You now have 3 threads going on the same issue...
    The SATA drivers are available at Dell's site as has been suggested.
    Topic Closed.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "