Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reallocate space between C & D drives  (Read 6240 times)

Rick1

Topic Starter

Starter

Reallocate space between C & D drives
    « on: April 02, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »
    I have XP os with the hdd divided into 2 partions. C drive 13.97 GB is full with only 2% freespace  D drive 92.81 GB having 87% freespace. How do I reallocate the size of these drives. Can this be done without reformatting or losing data.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Reallocate space between C & D drives
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
    Sure. How much stuff is in the My Documents?
    As you already know, MyDocuments is  another name of the document files folder folder being using by the user who is logged into the desktop. Each user has his own. The file contents can be relocated to another  folder, even on another drive. But first. prepare a directory on the other drive. Name it "MyStuff' or whatever you like.
    Right Clack My Documents. Select properties. Click Move. select the new location. Let it move the documents into MyStuff, or whatever you call it.
    The will include you r photo, your music. So I will really cut down on how much stuff you can on the C drive.
    From now on that user will have his files on the other drive, but on the desktop is still says "MyDocuments" and application programs will, in most cases, automatically look in the correct place for the files.

Rick1

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
      Thanks for the info. I have already moved pics and video to D drive and have moved some video programs (Click to DVD) and games to D drive. Was actually wondering if I could change the size of the drives by increasing GB on C and decreasing GB on D ?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »
      If using a sysstem that does not allow shirk partition, look here:

http://www.partition-tool.com/

The free program is good and mostly stable.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »
      Click to open Computer Management.‌  ...

In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click Shrink Volume

Follow the instructions on your screen.

For detailed information on how to shrink a volume, open Disk Management, click Help on the menu bar, click Help Topics, click the Contents tab, click Disk Management: Welcome, click Manage Basic Volumes, and then click Shrink a Basic Volume.
      This is for Windows Vista; it does not apply to Windows XP.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
        • Yes
        • The Doctor
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
      I've been asked to do this many times in my computer business.
      Using "Partition Magic 8" run from a boot CD, the job is easy.
      You first must make some FREE space by shrinking D: by the amount that you want to add to C:.

Then, with some free space established, you merely increase the size of C: to take up that FREE Space.  Job done.

In many cases I've found that the C: drive is just jammed up with pure CRAP, like temporary internet files, temp files, prefetch files, and so on.

I use a batch file I wrote called XPCleanup.bat to get rid of the biggest amount of junk and finish off with Windows own "Disk Cleanup" run in Extended Mode, using this shortcut:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /C: /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35

* you can set it to delete all the junk except the "Setup Log" files.

Then finish the cleanup with a defrag.

All pictures, old docs and other media files should be burned to CD/DVD's and then deleted off of the C: drive.

Since no two PC's are the same, the solution to the "Full Drive" problem has to be addressed one PC at a time.  No ONE solution fits all drives.

With just one error on your HD, repartitioning can result in a completely LOST drive.
      So, it's imperative that if you're going to re-partition, you absolutely MUST make sure there are NO errors on the drive.  Run CHKDSK /f several times to make sure there are no errors.

Personally, I even like to make a Ghost backup of the C: drive before I start any re-partitioning.
      (just, in case)

Also, a power failure during re-partitioning can wreck the HD. 
      I never re-partition a HD unless the PC is plugged into a UPS.
      (battery backup power supply)

Good Luck,
      The Shadow  8)
      Experience is truly the best teacher.
      Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
      Hi, TheShadow
      Good Job!
      Here is my variation on that for a first time user.
      Get another HDD. Try to copy a partition to the new drive. And then re size.
      If all goes right, the old drive is now your backup. It it files, start over again.

Programs Like Partition Magic and all the rest have a learning curve that invites disaster.

And if using two drives you can try less powerful partition software. The money you save could pay for the drive.

x2543

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »
      http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/
      If using a sysstem that does not allow shirk partition, look here:

http://www.partition-tool.com/

The free program is good and mostly stable.

go to giveawayoftheday.com today and pick up the professional version for free only today!!!!

Rick1

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »
        Thanks Shadow, I was wondering about the disk cleanup program you wrote. I am not very savvy when it comes to writing code. Can I type in the command line " %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /C: /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35" and it will run cleanup or would would I need some additional
        programming. Also, would I need to do this at the DOS command prompt or just type in the run dialogue box in windows.