Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cache overflow  (Read 3179 times)

harley88

Topic Starter

Beginner

cache overflow
    « on: April 10, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
    hello everyone

i need to delete my IE cache overflow , and so far i have found two ways to do it (below).  would one of you fine fellows take a look and let me know which is the best.

#1-TIP > Internet Explorer Cache Overflow
    Solutions

For manual deletion, use this method:

1. Open an Explorer folder window (for example, double-click My Computer). From the Explorer menu select Tools | Folder Options | View. Make sure that you have checked the box next to "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

2. Start Internet Explorer and click Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Settings | View Files.

3. IE should have opened up a folder window, typically viewing a folder with the name of C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Put your cursor in the Address area of the folder window and add the name \content.ie5 to the name, so in our example the Address bar would now read c:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\content.ie5.

4. You should see a series of four folders with random eight-character names like ADOZMZS1. Go into each folder and delete all the files they contain. Do not delete the folders.

5. If desired, reset the folder options you changed in step 1.

#2-For manual deletion, use the method below:

Click My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View. Check the box ?Show hidden files and folders?, and uncheck ?Hide protected operating system files?.
    Reboot the computer while tapping the F5 key. At the options menu choose either Safemode with Command Prompt or F8/ Safemode with Command Prompt. Log on as Administrator and also repeat the proceedure as Regular User. At the blinking cursor enter ?del index.dat /s? without the quotes. Now press "Enter". *Take note, there is a space after del and after .dat.
    You may reset the folder options changed in step 1 if you like.
    The above procedure also deletes the IE cache index (index.dat) file as they are often damaged. Microsoft documents 306837 and 293402 provide additional information on this issue

Aspire X-Superalien 500W
    ASUS P4C800E DELUXE
    P4 800 3.0G
    CRUCIAL 4x 512MB
    RADEON 9800XT
    SB AUDIGY
    XP HOME sp2

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: cache overflow
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
    Use CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds. Get "Slim" version.

harley88

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »
      Broni

sure do appreciate your reply.  i d/l the ccleaner but do not know what to check i think it would be something in the advanced part.

help me if you can
      harley
      Aspire X-Superalien 500W
      ASUS P4C800E DELUXE
      P4 800 3.0G
      CRUCIAL 4x 512MB
      RADEON 9800XT
      SB AUDIGY
      XP HOME sp2

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
      This is my setup:

You may want to uncheck "cookies", so you don't lose your passwords.