Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware Shut Down  (Read 2267 times)

kad4597

Topic Starter

Hardware Shut Down
    « on: April 10, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
    When the system is turned on, the fans start up but then then system powers down almost immediately.  The PC was working fine and no new hardware has been added.  Any suggestions?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Hardware Shut Down
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
    Do you see anything on the screen at all when you turn it on? This could be a number of things. First that comes to mind is the power supply. Do you know enough about computers to swap the power supply out with another?

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
      « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »
      You said you added new hardware, right? try taking out the newly installed hardware and see if it works again.
      Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?

GlitchPC

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
      How old is this computer?  Have you tried cleaning it out using compressed air...or replacing the CMOS battery?

kad4597

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
        I built this PC six years ago and have not added any new hardware since.  When I power it up, it shuts down before anything shows on the screen and there are no coded beeps from the Bios.  I have cleaned it but not thoroughly.  I'll give that a try as well as swapping out the power supply.  Thank you for the suggestions.