Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can not resrore with DVD  (Read 3057 times)

Bobh

Can not resrore with DVD
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »
Hi

I got a DVD and learned how to do a back up.  I ran one and got a message that said it was successful.  Now I want to use it.  I go to start - all programs - accessories - system tools - system restore - continue.   Now it showes me the choices I have about which back up to run.  I click on the one I know was made by running it on the DVD.  At no time does it say to put the DVD in the computer but I have already put it in.  I click on next and a panel comes up that has C and D drives showing.  There is never anything about E drive which is my DVD.  If I go ahead and run the backup it does not run successfully.  Some way I need the E drive to show so that I can tell the computer where the back up is that I want to run,  The book I have tells me how to make a back up on a DVD but it never tells me how to use it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks   Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can not resrore with DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »
What flavor of Windows ? ?
What app was used to create the backup ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
Patio -
Sorry I forgot.  I am runn ing Vista Home Basic.   What does app stand for?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
Sorry Application...did you use the built in Vista backup or a program ? ?

Bobh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »
Patio - Thanks for the reply.  As you see I'm not to sharp!!  I got the backup on the DVD this way:  start - all programs - accessories - system tools - backup and configuration - run a backup now - continue - Where do you want to save your backup - DVD  RW Drive (E:) - next - after that I followed instructions and it worked .  Backup complete.  I hope this is the info you wanted.  Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »
Gotcha...
No need for an apology ...you're doing fine.
A few questions though...
System Restore only deals with system files...it will not backup an image you've created. So my 1st question would be:... Can a system restore solve your issues or do you need to really do a backup restore ?
A backup restore from a Vista image file will take the machine back to the day the image was created...all data you have since then will be gone....

Are you sure this is what you want to accomplish ? ?

Also what is on D: and is it another partition or another hard drive ? ?

Bobh

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
Patio -
I have done backups from the ones listed but the book I have says that I should put a backup on a DVD, CD, or an external hard drive.  As I said I put it on a DVD.  The book does not tell me how to use the DVD to recover at some earlier time.  I sometimes mess up and get in trouble.  I want to back up to some point earlier and start over.  I think all I can put on a back up disk is files and folders.  I don't think Vista Home Basic will back up the whole computer.
Drive (C:)  and (D:) are partions of the hard drive. I hope I have said that right.
If things get too bad I have a program that gives me a full factory restart.  I have used that a couple of times when I have been in trouble.  I hope I have answered your questions plainly.    Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »
Correct.
A full Vista image backup file would not fit on a DVD...so what you have is a backup of your User files and Folders.
Have you tried a system restore first to get back to an earlier point ? ?

If so and it's not what you want ...to run the Files backup in Vista go to the Start Menu/Control Panel/ Backup and Restore Center....when it asks for the backup simply point it to your DVD drive with the disc in.

Bobh

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
Patio -
Thank you for the help.  While I was away I reread my book  (Just the Computer Essentials by James A. White) and found a section about running restores from a DVD.  He wrote for some upgrade of Vista so I had to modify some.  That is where I generally get into trouble.  I ran the restore and when it got done it said it was successful.  I don't know if it was or not as I have no way of checking.  I will let this soak in and tomarrow I will try what you suggested.  The system White was using would give a complete PC backup but Vista Home Basic will not.    Thanks again    Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:18 AM »
Correct.
The Vista image backup feature is only included in Vista Business Pro and Vista Ultimate.

Bobh

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:13:18 AM »
Patio -

Your suggestion on how to do a backup worked.  That is simpler than what I was doing.  Now we have another problem.  When I use the backup I have made and want to run a restore a panel comes up that asks "select the files and folders to restore".  I do not know how to answer.  I just want things put back like they were when I made the backup.  Can you suggest a procedure?  Thanks   Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 08:45:18 AM »
If there is a Drop Down Windo just click on it and point it to the DVD drive where the files are burned to.

Bobh

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Patio -
Thanks for all your time.  I think you have solved my problems I have now.  I don't do much with the computer.  I get some e-mail and I have some favorites that I visit.  Nothing real important but I just like things to work like they are supposed to.  These forums (I read 3) have taught me a lot.  I would have sent this machine to the junk yard except for people like you.  Thanks   Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
Bob you're more than Welcome and Thanx for the kind words....stop by anytime ! !