Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: April Tip regarding MSCONFIG /numproc - true or false?  (Read 5418 times)

brundle

April Tip regarding MSCONFIG /numproc - true or false?
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
"If you're running Windows XP or Vista with a computer that has a multiple core processor such as the Intel Core 2 duo you can increase how fast your computer boots up by having it use multiple processors for its boot sequence. Following the below steps to have Windows do this for you.)"

Can anyone verify this? As far as I'd been aware Windows boots using all available cores, this setting only configures it to use less or a specific number for troubleshooting - I've googled and found differing opinions....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: April Tip regarding MSCONFIG /numproc - true or false?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's false. I remember seeing a high-profile tech blogger writing it as FUD. might of been Mark Russinovich.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:40 AM »
Voodoo...

Where is this Tip from ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833721

/numproc=number
This switch sets the number of processors that Windows will run at startup. With this switch, you can force a multiprocessor system to use only the quantity of processors (number) that you specify. This switch can help you troubleshoot performance problems and defective CPUs.

There are no performance or any other gains by changing the default setting. There could be issues, however. Vista will use fully all available processors once it enters kernel mode at the end of startup, no matter what you set for the number of processors in MSCONFIG.