Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Floppy Drive Error  (Read 2077 times)

Darren_GT0407

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Floppy Drive Error
    « on: April 21, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
    For at least two weeks my computer refuses to respond when turned on. there is no indication that the system is running. I had previously discussed this issue with an expert that said this maybe down to a loose cable.
    The problem has continued ever since and now I am receiving an error message on my boot screen..."Floppy Disk(s) fail (40).

I read an article that gave me a better understanding of the problem, yet I DO NOT  have a Floppy Drive present on my system, so I am wondering whether their is something critically wrong with system because I've never has this problem before?

HELP.

PS, I'm running Windows XP Home Ed if that helps.

brundle

Re: Floppy Drive Error
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:42:39 PM »
    "Refuses to respond when turned on" - you mean it starts up and loads Windows then won't respond, or won't do anything at all when switched on?
    That message can often be caused by a flat CMOS battery - the BIOS defaults come into effect and a floppy drive is expected by such settings, and if one is not present (as on your system) - and additionally if the system defaults to "Stop at any error" then you will see the behaviour you're experiencing.
    Watch the screen when you switch on, do you see any messages like "Press Del / F2/ F10 for Setup" (the actual key or keys listed may be different depending on your system)?

Darren_GT0407

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »
      The Message 'Floppy Disk(s) fail (40) displays on the bottom, I press the F1 button to continue. If it was the battery shouldn't the clock reset itself but it doesn't.

In addition, when I said the system would not respond, I mean that the lights that that indicate the systems activity,; they flash continuously THEN the system comes on displaying the error message.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 04:13:01 PM »
      Replace the CMOS battery...part # CR2032...about the size of a dime on the MBoard.
      Remove all power sources prior to this.

NOTE Afterwards if you still get the floppy error enter setup at boot and dis-able floppy seek at boot.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "