Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A big problem  (Read 2170 times)

zane32388

A big problem
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
So! I wouldn't be here asking for help if I could solve this on my own obviously. So here I am, a family computer for 7, three years old, and a great machine. No one has really complained about it, it works great, and it's almost one of the main uses in our house!

So the story goes something like this. The computer doesn't get shut down often, sometimes running for 3-4 days without any off time, because our phone is thru the CABLE internet. SO! Today I get up, log on, and fiddle with the computer, but then I decide to give it a rest, and power down. But as I did, I forgot I needed a saved document from it, so I gave it a 5 minute cool down (I've heard 10 seconds is fine, but I always give it a 5 minute cool down between turning it off, then back on.) SO! The windos logo shows, the main boot  menu pops up (telling me to hit F2 or F12 for the boot menu) then loads like normal, then I get the XP log on screen...My arrow is enlarged, the Icons are enlarged, and the color distorted!

So I click on my account name, and me entire desktop is crowded with icons, my pointer is huge, and my color is so out of whack it's not even funny.

So I freak out! Then after calming down, I realize "Oh! It's just the resolution, no biggie!" Well...I tried to change the res. on my computer monitor, after "restore to factory settings" it saves, and nothing changes. So I go into my computer files, and try to change the resolution like that, same thing. I change my settings to high, and the screen to a better res, it saves, asks me if I want to keep the changes (but nothing changed) and then after I say yes or no, whichever, the setting revert back to what it was on before I changed it.

I've tried to hit system restore, it wouldn't let me, I'm running my virus scan program as I type this (seen in the screen shot I'm about to send), and I've tried everything I know what to do.

At this point...I have three choices.

1: I go to a forum, much like this one, and hope I can get some help.
2: So a system wipe and just start from scratch.
3: Take my PC to a repair shop.

Option 2...Well I don't know HOW to do that, or what do to. I'd need someone to help me, and well...Yeah. ^_^

Option 3...Weeeell. I don't have the cash. Plain and simple, the ones in town charge 60$ just to have the PCs LOOKED at...which, I dunno about other places, but to me, 60$ is quite a bit just to have something looked at. I'm wanting to exhaust all other solutions before trying this one.

So! Basically long story short and cliffnotes version...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=axy41u&s=5

That is what my screen looks like, and is there any way I can fix it?

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: A big problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
Have you restarted the computer yet?

Have you tried to log in to a different user account?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »
    Sounds like your graphics driver died on ya!

You'll have to uninstall the old one and replace it with the proper driver. Do you have any idea what kind of graphics card you have? I assume you didn't build this computer, so can post the model number?
    Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
    First guess. Your video card went bananas and Windows could not use the proper driver.

Second guess. You have been hit by a nasty virus that gave itself away by messing with your system files. It may be a type that can not be easily removed with the conversational AV programs.

Third guess. Some system files were damaged for not good reason and you may have to do some kind of repair.

The second guess is my second guess, but it is the most critical issue. 
    Read this first:
    http://www.computerhope.com/search.htm?cx=003411668307610607965%3Ah4yba8pbdco&cof=FORID%3A9%3BNB%3A1&q=hijack+log&sa=Search#448

Griff

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
      You know, considering your copy of Windows IS 3 years old, it might not be a bad idea to use this as a reason to do a nice clean install. That way you clean up any junk laying around, and any nasty bugs that might be hiding on the system. Windows always runs best when it's first installed anyway.

If you do, go ahead and back everything up before you do.
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?