Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound on new PC - please help  (Read 1803 times)

kell3y71

No sound on new PC - please help
« on: April 27, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
Hi.

I just received a new computer. I set everything up but I've got no sound. When I go to test sound comes out, but when I go to play a .wma or a .mp3 file I get nothing. Also no sound when playing video.

I'm running Windows Vista OS
the PC is a Gateway DX4800-05e

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps!

Kelly

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
    Re: No sound on new PC - please help
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »
    Lets see...

When you say test, do you mean you can go into the sound manager, and hear sound from the speakers (beeps or whatever)? What about the start up music? Does that play too?

First, check to see it all of your audio levels are on. Right click the speaker icon on your task bar and click "Open volume control." Turn up the master volume, wave, and whatever else you have and see if that works.

You might have to install the sound driver, but i think you wouldn't need to since the test sounds work. What are the tests sounds you're using?
    Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
    I just received a new computer
    Return it.

tesla

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:09:21 AM »
      did you buy the speakers seperatly or are they attached to the monitor. did the speakers (either way) come with the computer? could it be a codec issue?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »
      It is possible that you have more than one sound card, and the system is by default playing the test sound through your default card, but your player is playing it through the secondary card.

To test this theory...

Download Winamp http://www.winamp.com/player/free-download-full?lang=en-us

Once you have downloaded and installed Winamp, (do not install any extra, i.e. the toolbar, remote, or the emusic 50 free mp3's btw)

When It opens it will play a small MP3 to test winamp. If you cannot hear it, try the following.

open the preferences by pushing ctrl+p or by right clicking on a blank portion of the GUI and going options > properties.

on the left scroll till you see output, and direct sound should be highlighted.

click configure, and you will get a window like this:

Then see how many available audio outputs you have, and see which one is selected for playback. If default audio playback is selected, pick another, try to play the file. if it still doesn't work, go pack and pick another, ect.

Hopefully this will help.

another option is....making sure you do not have WAVE muted in the sound mixer.