Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet explorer  (Read 3047 times)

desperate1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Internet explorer
    « on: April 26, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »
    Hi. I tried to upgrade to IE 8. Got some warnings about "add ons" and IE8 wouldn't run. Tried to go back to previous version (To be honest with you not sure if I had IE 6 or 7&) but it wouldn't load. Deleted IE8. When I clicked on the icon for previous version it would look like it would start then the window would close out. Checked task manager & it wasn't there. Deleted it and tried to download IE7 from Microsoft & it wouldn't download. Now computer is running slow as heck (HP Pavilion 750n, Pentium 4, 1.6 ghz, 512 mb windows XP). Ran Superantispyware & MAlaware bytes & nothing found. This morning tried to upgrade to new version of CCleaner & it wouldn't download. Ccleaner version I have ran ok. Tried to do system restore for 6 dates in April & it wouldn't let me do that either. Don't know if its virus or what. Hope someone can help & apologize for being a "newbie". Thanks

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Internet explorer
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
    Deleted IE8
    How?

Tried to do system restore for 6 dates in April & it wouldn't let me do that either
    What happened?

desperate1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
      HI thanks for the reply. Re trying to restore to an earlier date, message said unable to restore to that date. did that for 4 of 5 other dates previous to the upgrade I tried for IE 8 and same result: wouldn't let me restore.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 12:05:34 PM »
      Try system restore in Safe Mode.

desperate1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
        Thanks. I tried system restore in safe mode & got the same message that it can not restore to an earlier date. Tried to download Spybot search & destroy & it wouldn't down load. Tried to download that Microsoft defender & a couple of other Microsoft malaware detectors/eleminators & they wouldn't download either. Now I'm really stuck I am on line through Google. Computer is running superslow. Slower than normal for a 512mb, 1.6ghz P4. Ran SuperAntispyware & MalawareBytes & didn't find anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »
        So, you can't open any browser right now? It's not clear.

desperate1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:14:17 PM »
          I am able to get on line using an ATT/Yahoo browser that I haven't used in years but was still on my PC. Still can't download IE (any version). Any diagnosis? Just want to say thanks for taking the time to help out.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »
          If you can....

Download HijackThis:
          http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
          by clicking on Download HijackThis Installer
          Install, and run it.
          Post HijackTHis log.
          Do NOT attempt to fix anything!

NOTE. If you're using Vista, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator

x2543

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »
          oh and did you try resetting internet explorer? That's what I would have tried in addition to posting that hijack this log :)

If you need help resetting internet explorer, here's how you do it ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737