Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC Keeps Rebooting Itself  (Read 4824 times)

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: PC Keeps Rebooting Itself
    « Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:02 AM »
    When installing the OS, it asks how you want the hard drive formatted then partitioned, it would get through that part; once it began to copy the files it would then shut down. Now,the PC won't even stay on to install the OS. It gets to the splash screen then the whole thing shuts down and doesn't restart unless I push the power button. I think its the motherboard.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 08:10:39 AM »
    Is this an official MS XP CD ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hot dog

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »
    Is this an official MS XP CD ? ?

I think I see what you're on to here.  OEM disks won't install on just any computer will they :)

CordOroy might be trying to use an OEM disk from who-knows-where, and not an official disk, like you said.
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:56:40 PM by blockHEAD »

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
      Its an official CD. The one we got with the machine

hot dog

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
      Its an official CD. The one we got with the machine

So the machine was purchased new, originally?  I thought you said your friend built it..

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »
        He did build it, he does security systems for businesses, he built the PC and installed XP as the OS.

hot dog

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »
        Did he use the CD that you currently have, to do the installation of Windows XP, originally?

Have you inspected the motherboard for bulging/leaking capacitors.  Find a flashlight and look in the case at the motherboard.  Look at the tops of the capacitors and see if you can see any substance leaking out of the top of them, or Bulging of any kind....Capacitors should look relatively FLAT on top, but when they leak it is obvious, and if they bulge the FLAT surface will be pushed upward into a dome-like shape, as opposed to being flat (healthy).....look closely because it's not always obvious when they bulge

edit: I should have asked this a long time ago, but are there any unusual beeps when you turn on the computer

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 04:51:14 PM »
          All capacitors look good, no bulging and no leaking. I just saw a message that said "CPU Over Temperature" I'm guessing I need to clean the Heat Sink better and add more arctic silver compound, correct?

hot dog

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 05:02:59 PM »
          yes..

unplug the computer......remove the heatsink,  get some rubbing alcohol and q-tips and be sure all the old grease is removed FIRST....Be sure all old goo/grease if off the heatsink AND processor..........

When you reapply new grease, add only what you need to cover the processor....NOTE:  best to apply the grease to the center of the processor because when you add the heatsink, it will press down the grease and distribute it evenly across the processor......Using too much grease could cause a short circuit, if it finds its way to un-designated areas... :o

Do this, try the installation again and see what happens......When you first power on the computer, verify that the CPU fan is spinning ;)  Be sure you place the heat sink back on in the correct position....there should be a notch on the bottom of the heat sink that matches up with the socket that the processor fit in

edit: you really should inspect around the processor to see if there isn't any excess thermal grease in places it's not suppose to be..

hot dog

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »
          Is there any way you can tell me, the Make/model of the motherboard?

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »
            Asus P5PE-VM

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 05:18:44 PM »
              Okay, I applied thermal compound and no error message. Trying to install XP right now, so far so good

hot dog

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 05:43:31 PM »
              Asus P5PE-VM

alright then disregard my comment about making the heat sink match up with the cpu socket.........different kind of socket ;)

let me know how the installation goes

cordOroy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
                Blockhead, just wanted to thank you for your help. The machine is better than it was before. A bunch of new components and its working as good as can be expected of a PC.

hot dog

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
                EL EXCELLENTE`!  You're welcome ;)

(made that word up myself)

If that "overheating cpu" message had shown up earlier we would have had a better idea of what was going on......Perhaps the cpu was running a little too hot the entire time, but not hot enough to generate the "overheating" message...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:23:46 PM by blockHEAD »