Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: crappy himem.sys an' RAM  (Read 3223 times)

magic_plank

crappy himem.sys an' RAM
« on: May 14, 2005, 08:11:12 AM »
Hi,
my  problem is windows 98 (the bain of my life, AARRRG) and an old (really old ) packard bell Executive multi-media that belonged to a friend, which he gave me after my favourite, albiet not very new, computer died.
It came to me in a real state, cosmetically speaking, and he said the floppy drive didn't work. This turned out to be that the cable was the wrong way round.
The thing was SOOO excruciatingly slow, even with two of those small RAM card-like thingies that I found inside. also, in the last slot (there were only three slots to accomodate the same type of RAM card-thingie(wow, such acurate words)) which was one of those wierd slanty-sideways one, which lean at a 45 degree angle, there was a loose one. I fitted it back in and started up, at which point the thing got as far as the windows loading bitmap piccy and then it reset magically with a slightly annoying flourish.
Then Good old friendly DOS asked me if I wanted to start in safe mode, after which it told me that there was bad memory somewhere and himem.sys was missing. after taking the wierd slanty RAM out and everything was fine.
I don't want to have to chuck the RAM  out, because if this thing goes any slower, it'll stop.
Any suggestions?
ps, Are there any other ways to get the thing faster?
PPS no jargon please, when it comes to stuff like that I tend to dig a hole and hide in it.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 08:22:08 AM by magic_plank »

magic_plank

Re: crappy himem.sys an' RAM
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 03:14:05 PM »
Teh, sack it. I'm going for a sandwich.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000425.htm

when you have fired it up!......i would use this >http://www.active-hardware.com/english/misc/sandra.html

to find out more.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 03:24:02 PM by merlin_2 »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 03:25:29 PM »
I suspect by the description of the RAM, this Packard Bell is a Pentium I-60 or 90, if not earlier.  Dig the hole and give it a proper burial.  No need to climb in the hole with it (LOL).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 03:26:01 PM by Computer_Commando »

magic_plank

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
Old Rusty was buried in the computer recycle with due respect. It brought a tear to my eye. R.i.P old friend...