Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: TPM Help on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P  (Read 4616 times)

mos4567

Topic Starter

TPM Help on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    « on: May 27, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
    I need to clear the TPM chip on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P  (Rev 1.0 BIOS F9)

Sounds easy enough,  but it has proven to be a great challenge.

What is know about doing it.

If we look at the TPM manual for this board from Gigabyte, we will find what appears to be an easy solution.  You go into the BIOS, go to "Security Chip Configuration"  and there should be a "Clear Security Chip" option.

See:

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_tpm_e.pdf

However when I go to the BIOS it is not there. In fact if we go to the manual for the mobo, and look at the section covering BIOS setup where each screen and every option in the BISO is covered,  and reference Page 64 (2-15) the section covering the security chip options, we find that this option is not found.

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3p_e.pdf

Ok, so perhaps the chip needs to be in a cretin state for this to appear?

Well in none of the 3 states dose it appear.  And yes, I have saved and exited the BISO after each state change to it is actually applied.

OK perhaps we can do it from the software end, no luck. Try it and the machine reboots and the chip is not cleared nor dose it cause this option to appear.

I have ensured the drivers and BIOS are up to date.

I have spent some time trying to find answers on google and from Gigabyte but have been unsuccessful.

If anybody has experience with this and knows something it would be very helpful, thanks!

Mulreay

Re: TPM Help on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »
    Start computer and go into BIOS.
    Set Security Chip to Disabled.
    Save settings.
    Reboot.

On restart, go back into BIOS. See if chip setting stayed at disabled.
    Set Security Chip to Enabled.
    Save settings.
    Reboot.

Again go back into BIOS on restart.
    See if chip is set to enabled.
    See if Clear Chip option is finally there.

If not... I'll be still scratching my head.

mos4567

Topic Starter

Re: TPM Help on Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
      I just tried that. Was able to turn it off, reboot, it was disabled,  enabled it, reboot it was enabled, rebooted again, and sigh, no clear security chip option. Thanks for trying tho,  if you think of anything else let me know.

To be honest this dose not shock me.  If you look at the manual  is the BIOS setup part it even lists options for some of the screen with notes saying they only show up with the correct hardware etc. but still lists them. It dose not list this option. 

Yet if we look at the part in the same manual about TPM or at the TPM  manual included, it shows it.

This makes the manual inconsistent.