Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Checking for SQL backups  (Read 2138 times)

kcuk

Topic Starter

Checking for SQL backups
    « on: June 12, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »
    Hi All

I have been asked come up with a way of automating check on sql 2000 backups.

I have the following so far...

cls
    set DDate=%date:~0,2%
    set MDate=%date:~3,2%
    set YDate=%date:~6,4%
    set backuppath=D:\SQL Server\Backup
    set bkup=_backup_
    set bkuptime=2230
    set a=""

d:
    cd\
    cd D:\Notifications
    :loop

echo 20 second intervals
    echo Waiting for backup file last file check was at %time:~0,8%

for /f %%a in (livedbs.txt) do if exist "%backuppath%\%%a\%%a%bkup%%YDate%%MDate%%DDate%%bkuptime%.bak" goto cont
    echo %%ERRORLEVEL%%
    for /f %%a in (livedbs.txt) do echo %date% %time:~0,8% - %%a not backed up >> D:\Notifications\backuplog.txt

ping localhost -n 20 -w 10000 > nul

cls

goto loop

:cont
    for /f %%a in (livedbs.txt) do echo %date% %time:~0,8% - %%a backedup email sent  >> D:\Notifications\backuplog.txt

And works.... well sort of, if only one of the databases listed in the livedb.txt is true it bombs out stating that all database have backed up.

in otherwords its not looping to check all are ok.

How can i make this script work or do i need another approach?

ALAN_BR

Hopeful

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Checking for SQL backups
      « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »
      XCOPY /M will probably do all the work for you without a script.

It will copy all the files whose Archive bit is set, and also clear that bit so it will not copy it again.

There may be something special about SQL, but normally it is expected that if a file is updated with different information, the Archive bit will be set as the new information is written, and then any backup archiving system such as XCOPY will know that the old backup is out of date.

Use "XCOPY /?" to see the relevant help file with many other useful option switches.

Regards
      Alan