Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to use a TV as a PC monitor  (Read 5140 times)

Shadowtech

Topic Starter

Rookie
    How to use a TV as a PC monitor
    « on: July 17, 2009, 12:34:39 AM »
    For a while now I've been wanting to figure out how to hook my PC up to my widescreen TV so I can use it as a monitor. I've done a lot of the research already and it seems like a fairly straight-forward process. The problem though, from the tutorials and such that I've read, is that none of them ever seems to mention the exact type of cables you need in order to do this. I've also read that there's at least two different types of cables you can use. One such cable will only let you use very low resolutions. The other type allows higher resolutions. I believe that type is HDMI, of which my video card has a connection. The TV does as well.

I've tried looking for the cables myself but where I start getting confused is when one cable is listed as "female" and another is listed as "male," some say "15-pin VGA port," while others say to use a "29-pin DVI port"... along with other technical jargon that's a bit beyond me. I'm by no means a computer novice; I've had plenty of experience the last 20 years with them. But the one thing I've never been able to figure out is just which cables I need among what seems like a dozen different kinds.

Basically, my question boils down to this: To use high resolutions on the TV as my PC's monitor, what exact type of cables do I need? Links to the proper cables on newegg would be appreciated, as well as any other useful information you might have to offer.

If any of this info is needed to determine what I'd have to get, here are the rest of my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz
    Memory: 2GB System RAM
    Hard Drive: 250GB
    Video Card: GeForce 9600GT w/512MB RAM
    Monitor: Hanns-G 19" LCD Flatscreen @ 1280x1024
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

And here's the type of TV I have:

Sylvania 32" HDTV

(The following details found on the back panel)

PC-Input
    Audio 10w x2
    HDMI x2
    LCD Color TV
    Model #LC320559 A
    Serial #J30883547
    120v~
    60Hz
    155w
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:01:03 AM by Shadowtech »

Crafty

Re: How to use a TV as a PC monitor
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:18 AM »
    I have a pc that is hooked up to my Hd television and my cable looks like this > Link below.

Just one end of the cable into the computer graphics card and the other end into the Hdmi slot on the television, then your good to go.

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/Repository/ProductImages/0/dvi-hdmi-cable.jpg

Shadowtech

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:33 AM »
      Okay, thanks for the pic. Does this mean then that the product I want is called a "DVI HDMI Cable"? (Might seem like a silly question, but I just want to be certain I buy the right thing)

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »
      Okay, thanks for the pic. Does this mean then that the product I want is called a "DVI HDMI Cable"? (Might seem like a silly question, but I just want to be certain I buy the right thing)

HDMI to DVI Cable, Yes

Shadowtech

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:16:39 AM »
        Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated!

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:24:10 AM »
        One last thing: I notice on NewEgg that some of these cables say "HDMI Male to DVI Male Extension Cable" and some don't. Is this an important factor?

Do you have a pic of this as I am not sure about this.

Shadowtech

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dvi+hdmi+cable

Under the "Specifications" description, a lot of them mention "HDMI Male to DVI Male."

Edit: Fixed the link.

Crafty

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:34:06 AM »
          On the back of your graphics card how many pins are their? The connection that goes to the back of my graphics card has 29 pins, it looks like this > Link below. Them male ones you showed me don't look like they have enough pins.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000GHQO0C/sr=1-5/qid=1247815923/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=560798&s=electronics&qid=1247815923&sr=1-5

Crafty

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »
          I would say you need the one with 29 pins for the graphics card, I have 3 different computers and they all use 29 pins.

Shadowtech

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:03 AM »
            Here's the adapter I use to connect the monitor to the video card:
            http://i29.tinypic.com/29w8m1j.jpg

And here's what the port on the back of the video card looks like:
            http://i29.tinypic.com/bi027t.jpg

The adapter has 6 pins on the left and 1 big pin on the right. Both above and below the big pin is another set of 2 small pins.

Shadowtech

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:25:20 AM »
              After looking at the port on the back of the video card, there are actually 29 'holes.' 24 small pin holes on the right, +4 small pin holes and +1 one big pin hole on the left. So that's 29 total, like you suggested. This means then that I need an HDMI to DVI cable with 29 pins, correct?

Edit: I do believe I've found the proper cable and ordered one. Thank you again for your help. :)
              « Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:55:17 AM by Shadowtech »

Crafty

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 03:20:37 AM »
              No problem glad I could help  :)

neelchauhan

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
              If you have a HDMI port, you just need a HDMI cable.
              If you don't have one, you can get a DVI to HDMI converter which is included with your card or can be bought in a consumer eletronics store or the internet, and a HDMI cable.
              If your TV has a DVI port, use a DVI cable.