Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extracting Files From Old OS Drive  (Read 2733 times)

Jaygee61

Topic Starter

Rookie

Extracting Files From Old OS Drive
    « on: July 03, 2009, 06:31:56 AM »
    Hello all!

This is my first post here, I hope someone can help me!  Ok, I just put together a new system; nothing fancy, just an upgrade to my older P4 system.  I started off with a brand new mobo and used my old CPU.  At first I tried to have the system initially boot to the hard drive that had Windows XP and all the files from the old PC on it, but that drive was pretty messed up from years of junk and possibly infected files, so it wouldn't boot up.  I had a spare "clean" drive, so I just started fresh with a brand new intall of XP.

My question is...  is it possible to have my new system run both drives with Windows XP on them so I can at least get some of the more important files and folders from the old OS drive to the new one?  And please don't suggest a "networking" solution...  I'd like to be able to just copy and paste files from one to the other without all that aggravation.

Thanks for your time!

J.G.
    :: Generic ATX Mid-tower :: Okia 450W PSU :: Biostar P4M900-M4 board :: Intel Northwood Pentium 4 2.53 GHz :: BFG GeForce 7300 GS 512MB PCIe X16 :: 2GB Transcend PC5300 DDR2 RAM :: Onboard VIA Audio :: Dual 40GB HDD :: Windows XP Home SP3 ::

Mulreay

Re: Extracting Files From Old OS Drive
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »
    You need the drive to be working to move files from it. Is the drive backed up? I know it's a simple one but let's start with the basics.

Jaygee61

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 06:48:47 AM »
      You need the drive to be working to move files from it. Is the drive backed up? I know it's a simple one but let's start with the basics.

Are you referring to the old OS drive being backed up?  If so, no it isn't.  I don't want to use both drives, just get certain files from the old drive to the new.
      :: Generic ATX Mid-tower :: Okia 450W PSU :: Biostar P4M900-M4 board :: Intel Northwood Pentium 4 2.53 GHz :: BFG GeForce 7300 GS 512MB PCIe X16 :: 2GB Transcend PC5300 DDR2 RAM :: Onboard VIA Audio :: Dual 40GB HDD :: Windows XP Home SP3 ::

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
      Your ice skating up hill mate. Unless you can access the drive even through safe mode your stuck. Can you attach the drive and try to access it from the desktop?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »
      You should be able to continue to boot to the new drive, and if you have the other drive properly installed, you should be able to see the files which are on it.

Do you have the master/slave or cable select setting correct (if they are both IDE drives)?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "