Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to connect to internet using "obtain a DNS server address automatically"  (Read 5043 times)

Technowarrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi all

Packard Bell easynote Laptop
    Vista Home Basic (Fully updated)
    IE 8

My problem is I cannot configure the laptop to "obtain a DNS server address automatically" in TCP/IPv4 and connect to the internet.  I can use "Use the following DNS Server address." manually configure the primary and Secondary DNS and everything works fine.

I have performed a full recovery on this laptop.  Manually configured the primary and secondary DNS.  which gives me internet access.  If I then change back to "obtain a DNS server address automatically" the problem re occurs.

I have updated vista to service pack one and beyond.  I have also changed from IE7 to IE8.

Same problem!

Any help advice direction would be a great help.

Thanks

Technowarrior

[attachment deleted by admin]
    You are what you do not what you say!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    The problem lies in how DHCP is working (or not working in this case).  Router?  Modem?  How do you connect to the internet?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Technowarrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi

I am connecting to the internet through a router.  Speedtouch 585i.

I have retrieved the primary and secondary DNS from the router.

My apologies but I neglected to mention that I have a 3 PC's attached to the router through the ports on the back.  I also have another laptop which connects wirelessly, all are configured to "obtain a DNS server address automatically" with no problems at all.  They are all using different variations of XP Home and pro.

Thanks

Technowarrior

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      Apparently MS changed its implementation of the DHCP client in Vista and broke it.  Needless to say, they blame router manufacturers.  Anyway, try the troubleshooting tips in their KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Technowarrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi Rob

Found your suggestion interesting and I was even excited thinking "I haven't tried this it must be the solution".  Sadly having followed the instructions in the KB article, I noted that the value of DHCPConnForceBroadcastFlag was already set to 1.  No change required.

Darn it!

I am getting to the point(but not yet) where I manually configure the "Use the following DNS Server address." and leave it at that.

That wouldn't be right though.  I will stick at it. 

More suggestions welcome.

Regards

Technowarrior

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        Doubtless, the KB article from Microsoft pointing out another way in which routers are to blame is still being typed up.

Seriously, don't sweat it.  Add the static DNS entries and forget about it.

Technowarrior

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi All

Well I slaved a NETGEAR router in and guess what.  I can obtain a DNS automatically now!  I cant identify what the issue is but everything seems to be working normally.  I wonder if there was a minor conflict between Vista and my Speedtouch 585i?  XP certainly doesn't have a problem.

Oh well having researched this for quite some time now I am going to have to call it a day. 

Thanks to everyone for there input.  I am going to close this one down now.

Technowarrior