Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unpatitioning hard drives  (Read 2766 times)

peach

unpatitioning hard drives
« on: May 28, 2005, 01:10:01 PM »
Hi,
I have unpartioned my hard drive (not using a programme, by deleting it from computer maintence) and i was told that it would automatically reallocate the memory from the drive i deleted into the other drive.

But it is now listed as 'unallocated' and i need to know how i can move that free space into my main drive.

if anyone could tell me how- in as simple and detailed a way as possible...that would be great!

thanks in advance, peaches

merlin_2

Re: unpatitioning hard drives
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »
is this winxp........use disk management......control panel admin tools....

peaches

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 01:16:40 PM »
yes, sorry i forgot to say its XP

when you say 'use' it..how exactly?

peach

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 01:53:56 PM »
ok, thank you
the partition manager link doesnt work...typical! it just says page can not be found...

i tried reading the other link too, im really not sure what im looking for, i thought maybe there was a way to manually reallocate it in admin tools?

thanks!

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 02:06:13 PM »
the weblink i gave is working ok?? try the main site>http://www.partition-manager.com/

the m$oft link was given to you to read understand disk management?for resizing/formating disks etc.....

peaches

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 02:25:34 PM »
this may be a silly question- is there any way to do it without buying it..?

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 02:39:21 PM »
AlecStaar recomends this>>  see post http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread24168-1.html

another option is to save data/drivers to disk and re-format the c:\ drive...............or use powerquest or another third party software......easy options.....

peach

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 02:53:14 PM »
i dont have any disks for xp etc, so i cant reformat.

some things ive read have said that if the disks are 'dynamic' (mine is basic) then the size of them can be changed. would that mean i could then bring the 'unallocated' space into my C drive?

Is this risky? do you know? also, how do i change from 'basic' to 'dynamic'? any idea..?

thanks

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 03:01:14 PM »

peach

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 03:05:07 PM »
oh, thats what i thought, but i dont have that option when i right click. i think its because its a laptop, the link you sent says sit not available on portable computers...

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 04:11:37 PM »

peach

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 05:03:43 PM »
hi...

i did it! thanks for all the help, im totally grateful. I managed to find something in the help pages in computer management- to move space in 'command prompt'- it was kinda scary, i tested it with 10mb first, and then chose the option not to specify an amount- and have it automatically include all unallocated space...phew!

thanks again

P

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 05:31:01 PM »
A pc is a machine......you have soul control over it.....even if it means switching it off.......remember who is the governor here....