Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SYSTEM RESTORE Unspecified error  (Read 3293 times)

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

SYSTEM RESTORE Unspecified error
    « on: July 24, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
    I am on Vista Ultimate. IE8.
    Today in my efforts to deal with TAGS (about which I am ignorant) which are part of the lefthand column of the Windows Gallery, I inadvertently removed items having nothing to do with those thousands in the Gallery.

It did not occur to me that anything done there could affect entirely separate areas. Unsure how much I lost, but the one I know about is ROBOFORM. It had been wiped clean of contents which most importantly includes my 100-plus IDs & PWs. That is of indescribable importance representing an accumulation of several years. YES, I do have a backup, and more up-to-date than I recalled: It is a file in DOCUMENTS, ROBOFORM LIST 26JUN09.
    Transferring into RoboF Passcards, now empty, is important but secondary to main problem.
    Yes, RoboF provided a URL to accomplish this but without going into details, I have been unable to do it.

I was confident the easy solution is System Restore. Sure enough, there were two restore points of yesterday which was most encouraging. Went through the process without difficulty on each of them, but both ended:
    NOT COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY; FILES/PROGRAMS UNCHANGED. UNSPECIFIED ERROR OCCURRED DURING SYSTEM RESTORE

As all too often, MSN leaves one without slightest idea of what the error is, much less what to do about it.

I will much appreciate a more knowledgeable forum colleague telling me how to find the unspecified error and then how to correct it, or perhaps there is another way to achieve a system restore successfully -- the closer to 23JUL09 the better. Thank you!

RO

oldun

Re: SYSTEM RESTORE Unspecified error
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
    Did you try running System Restore in Safe Mode?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 03:09:53 AM »
    Do you have Norton antivirus or any Symantec programs on your computer?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »
      Thank you both.
      No, I do not have either; rely on COMODO Internet Security, WinUtilities & CCleaner.
      Yes, I did use Safe Mode and did restore as noted one day earlier, 23JUL09.

Unfortunately, my delight died 'a borning. Everything where it was, but the very reason for the Restore was for ROBOFORM 100-plus IDs & PWs. Not only were they not restored but the program itself now has icon with "x".

I had installed a half-dozen of my most immediate needs during the interim but those disappeared as well. Of course I'm into RF support and I do have backups. Problem is RF says I'll find, for ex, Default Profile at a location only to find it isn't. ETC.

What perhaps either/both of you  helpful members can do is to provide exact path,
      1-2-3 to move the backup file from DOCUMENTS into RF.  Much obliged!

Cordially, 
      RO