Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which Linix?  (Read 4955 times)

w7itman

Topic Starter

Rookie

Which Linix?
    « on: July 25, 2009, 08:02:08 AM »
    I am a windows users who wants to switch to linux or some better os which will run on my desktop
    which is a amd athlon x2 dual core 2.2ghz 4200+
    I have 1.5gig of ram 300gig sata hard drive
    i have a nvidia 256 graphics and a ide dvd burner

IV been used to windows for so long but all i need in a os is one that is easy to install and configure just install it and the network will work as its on a LAN so the network is always online.

I need to be able to edit photos in the gimp i need firefox document editing i need a download manager
    i need to be able to open winrar rar files and too be able too burn cds or dvds and if i plug in usb memory sticks and memory cards i need too be able to view the contents.

But most inportant it needs to be virus and spyware free which i am sure most linux are secure.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Which Linix?
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »
    There is atest to see what Linux distro you might like the most, Here

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?firsttime=true

My results (your results will probably be different)

100%
    Linux Mint
       Homepage: http://www.linuxmint.com/
    Screenshots: The Coding Studio
    Originally launched as a variant of Ubuntu with integrated media codecs, Linux Mint has now developed into one of the most user-friendly distributions on the market - complete with a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, a web-based package installation interface, and a number of different editions. Perhaps most importantly, this is one project where the developers and users are in constant interaction, resulting in dramatic, user-driven improvements with every new release

(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)
    Get this distribution on CD/DVD at PCTech101

100%
    Fedora
       Homepage: http://fedora.redhat.com/
    The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from open source software. Fedora Core is built to provide choice. It includes the latest versions of many software packages, including both GNOME and KDE desktop environments. Fedora Extras, a repository built entirely by volunteers, provides thousands more packages, and is enabled for use by default.

(This distribution also has a "Live CD" you can use to test the distribution before you install it)

100%
    MEPIS
       Homepage: http://www.mepis.org/
    MEPIS Linux is a desktop Linux system that is also easy to configure as a dedicated server. It is designed for both personal and business purposes. It includes cutting-edge features such as a live/installation/recovery CD, automatic hardware configuration, NTFS partition resizing, ACPI power management, WiFi support, anti-aliased TrueType fonts, a personal firewall, KDE, and much more.

100%
    OpenSuSE
       Homepage: http://www.opensuse.org/
    The openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy access to the world's most usable Linux distribution, SUSE Linux. OpenSUSE delivers everything that Linux developers and enthusiasts need to get started with Linux. Hosted at opensuse.org, the project features easy access to builds and releases. It also offers extensive community development programs for open access to the development process used to create SUSE Linux.

100%
    PCLinuxOS
       Homepage: http://www.pclinuxos.com/
    PCLinuxOS is one of the world’s up and coming providers of a Linux Desktop Solution. With a small but dedicated development team, PClinuxOS delivers Desktop Ready Software that harnesses the power of the Open Source Community.

100%
    Foresight Linux
       Homepage: http://www.foresightlinux.com/
    Foresight Linux is a Distribution which showcases some of the latest and greatest from GNOME. Some of the things that may not be mature enough for some of the other distros. Some of the more innovative things are included, plus some nice, clean default themes and artwork.

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:57:42 PM »
    Ubuntu.

It meets everything you want. It also has a great help fourm.
    And it's a very fast OS.

Pre-installed programs:
    - GIMP 2.6
    - Firefox 3
    - Open Office 3
    and others

smeezekitty

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »
    DSL
    not security overload
    very small
    but still very powerfull and easy to use and still very secure

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »
    What is DSL?   ???

You say "DSL" to me, and I think, Digital Subscriber Line.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

smeezekitty

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »