Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Issue?  (Read 2275 times)

ghx

Topic Starter

CPU Issue?
    « on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:43 AM »
    Now, let me start by saying I'm not exactly sure how to have a more descriptive title because I'm not exactly sure what my problem is.

First of all, I'm running a 2.4ghz Intel Celeron processor with 760 some odd mbs of ram (give or take for devotion to graphics memory... bios feature) on Windows XP Professional SP3. I'm using this computer because it was a friends and the harddrive went out, so I replaced it with a spare HD of mine and put some extra ram in it.

So I'm working on a fresh format, and even when I had fixed this computer before the HD failed it was horribly slow. I can't even steam videos without them skipping 2-3 seconds at a time. I've had computers with 800 mhz and 512 mbs of ram run much faster. I have all the updated drivers, all my visual themes disabled, and running no processes but the basics.

I understand Celerons have much lower L2 cache than say a Pentium 4 of similar clock speed, and therefore will be much slower to its comparative brand, but I know I should be getting more out of this. I wasn't really sure if there were different drivers for processors, so I went to Intels site and looked up this processor in paticular, and there was only a processor identifcation program for download.  So I downloaded this in hopes of helping diagnose my problem, and it's given me some useful information, and some really annoying information.

Intel® Processor Identification Utility
    Version: 4.20.20090811
    Time Stamp: 2009/08/31 14:30:33
    Operating System: 5.1-2600-Service Pack 3
    Number of processors in system: 1
    Current processor: #1
    Active cores per processor: 1
    Disabled cores per processor: 0
    Processor Name: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz
    Type: 0
    Family: F
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 9
    Revision: 2E
    Maximum CPUID Level: 2
    L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
    L2 Cache: 128 KB
    Packaging: FC-PGA2
    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: No
    MMX(tm): Yes
    Intel® SSE: Yes
    Intel® SSE2: Yes
    Intel® SSE3: No
    Intel® SSE4: No
    Enhanced Halt State: No
    Execute Disable Bit: No
    Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: No
    Intel® 64 Architecture: No
    Intel® Virtualization Technology: No
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.40 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 1.11 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 400 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 185 MHz

Note two things. It has no speedstep technology(so the speed should be somewhat consistant, to rule out this option), and it's running at less than half of its expected speed. The more strain I put on the computer and rerun this test, the lower the frequency is. It doesn't make any sense. This is the only help information it gives me.
    Reported frequency - The speed at which the tested processor is currently operating.

Expected frequency - The highest speed at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate.

Small variations in clock frequencies are common.  If there appears to be a significant variation, please contact the PC system manufacturer or microprocessor place of purchase.

Now I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that this is my problem. I can't think of anything else. I've never had a computer so slow before. Even while I'm typing this it will freeze for several seconds an then catch up on the text.... Scrolling pages is brutal.

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CPU Issue?
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:05:46 AM »
    I would start by re-installing the MBoard chipset drivers first...then any additional drivers that machine needs.
    If you are not sure what's in there DLoad install and run Everest Home and run a quick report...this will tell you every component in that machine...

@nd you should check to see if the HDD has possibly dropped into PIO mode...
    To do this Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager...right click both IDE controllers and see what they are set at...should be "UDMA if available"....
    Make the changes and re-boot.
    Best of Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.40 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 1.11 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 400 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 185 MHz

Note that the ratio of Expected Processor Frequency to Reported Processor Frequency is the same as the ratio of Expected System Bus Frequency to Reported System Bus Frequency. Go into the BIOS settings and see whether you can change System Bus Frequency.

I've experienced this with an ECS motherboard I'm currently using. On a few occasions, the "CPU Frequency", which is a setting in the BIOS for this motherboard, has changed on it's own.  I noticed my processor speed being incorrectly reported during startup and also got a lower-than-normal reading if I right-clicked on My Computer and selected Properties.  I accessed the BIOS setting screens and saw the incorrect setting, changed it, restarted and ... back to normal. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:47:06 AM »
    Also if it has changed on it's own you may want to replace your CMOS battery...part # CR2032 available anywhere.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:53 AM »
    The more strain I put on the computer and rerun this test, the lower the frequency is.
    In addition to the excellent posts above, this part makes me wonder if thermal throttling is the cause.
    Pentium 4 processors, including the related Celerons, do throw out a large amount of heat.
    I suggest following the CH cleaning guide to remove any dust from the machine, and see if that helps.  Even if it doesn't, cleaning should be done regularly so it won't hurt.  I mention it because you didn't mention cleaning anywhere, so if you've already done this then disregard it.
    Reapplying the thermal paste may be a good idea too, thermal paste can get dried out and become much less effective over time which also leads to cooling issues.  If this is a name brand machine, all the more reason to do so as the original paste is most likely very cheap and badly applied (at least, it always has been in my experience).

ghx

Topic Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:08:35 AM »
      Thanks for all the quick replies. Like I mentioned, I'm unable to find drivers for the chipset. It just gives me the download for the processor identification utility, no drivers.

I checked the IDE channels, the primary is set to "DMA if available" with my only other option being PIO. My secondary was set to PIO but I've changed it to DMA but it doesn't seem to make much difference. They're "Ultra DMA Mode 5" and "Multi-Word DMA mode" respectively.

I've blown the computer out with an air can but that's about it. I don't think it's terribly dirty. It did get hot once right after I reformatted for no apparent reason but after that it's stayed at a normal temperature. This is a laptop by the way, sorry I forgot to mention.

Also, there's no settings for CPU frequency in my BIOS. It's pretty basic.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:38:37 AM »