Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temporary Windows Fonts  (Read 2770 times)

BrianG

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Temporary Windows Fonts
    « on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:16 AM »
    My Toshiba laptop seems to be taking longer to boot these days so I decided to do some disk cleaning and removing unwanted programs.
    One thing I was aware that slowed the boot process was having lots of fonts installed.
    I have a font manager program called "Font Explorer", and this reports I have a large number of "temporary" Windows fonts installed.
    If I try to delete these fonts using Font Explorer, I get the message:
    "The fonts you have selected are temporarily installed. Their file locations are not known, so they cannot be used for this kind of operation."
    Some programs I have (e.g. Corel Graphics suite) recognise these fonts, but others, like Word, are not aware of them. I don't recall installing any of them and I don't want them, but I can't seem to remove them. I've done a search of the entire hard drive for the font names, but nothing comes up.

The normal Windows Control Panel font manager does not report them as even being installed, so I can't delete them through Windows.

I'm running Xp Pro, fully updated (SP3 etc.) on a Toshiba Tecra A2 laptop.

Can anyone help me find the location of these temporary fonts so that I can uninstall them?

prosportal

Beginner

Re: Temporary Windows Fonts
      « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
      First off, I'm not a big fan of Toshiba laptops due to the fact that up to 80 processes start the first time you boot it up. As far as the temp fonts. Usually a temporary or soft font is a font that remains in a printers memory until it is reset. Do you have a printer installed on this PC?

Also, you may want to try a wild card and do a search for one of the font names. Now and then, the font file will be the same name as the font.

smeezekitty

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »
      the fonts may be in memory not on the disk

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »
      Unfortunately playing in the fonts folder is not an effective method of ttrying to speed up a laptop...
      Some are required by Windows whether in use or not and getting rid of the wrong ones can render a machine un-bootable...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

smeezekitty

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »
      i did some googleing and didnt see anything about computer becomming unbootable
      from missing fonts
      the worst i saw was unreadable

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:26:39 PM »
      even so your simply not going to see any perceivable gain by removing fonts of any form.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

smeezekitty

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
      this is very true