Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless networking problem  (Read 3856 times)

gabe810

wireless networking problem
« on: June 10, 2005, 04:06:59 PM »
i just recently bought a linksys wireless g broadband router with speed booster. i have it configured to work with aol, but i can't access the internet on my host pc. why is that? my other pc with the adapter works fine. the lights indicate that i have internet connection, and no extra lights are on. i looked in linksys' knowledge base thing, i even contacted them through e mail, but the response is takin a while. both of my pc's have xp home edition. aol dsl internet..... its wrt54gs model router.

plz help!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 04:08:50 PM by gabe810 »

merlin_2

Re: wireless networking problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 04:13:28 PM »
check firewall options......where is it located.......on the wall is a good option... providing its nopt next to a mains/cable power outlet ///..  type netstat in the cmd prompt. what happens??....are your settings.......ok.....in networking......have you tried the wizard??

did you load the software first.......then  install the hardware??
or be patience and start again>>http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/Introduction-Wireless-Networking-Part1.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 04:16:59 PM by merlin_2 »

gabe810

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 04:27:41 PM »
what should i check for in my firewall options? the router is located on top of my tower, reason being that my pc desk is full and i had no were to put it.  the wizard didn't work. i put the cd it came with in first, everything set up fine until the very last step when it tried connecting to the internet. i didnt make any connections, so then i tried setting it up manually.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »
you have to allow .....connections.......check your firewalls settings to allow your router to work.......manual settings......are normally ip 192.168.01
subnet mask 255.255.255.0>>>>>>>gateway 192.169.02 ........have you clicked the wirless icon in the control panel??type ipconfig  in the cmd...... what does it tell you
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 05:11:25 PM by merlin_2 »

gabe810

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 05:10:07 PM »
i dont know what u mean by clicking on the wirless icon in the control panel....... but when i type ipconfig in the command promt on the host pc, it says it doesnt recognize the command for some reason. but when i type it in my other pc, it say wirless ethernet something something....... and then it shows info about it.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 05:12:59 PM »
my fault you are using win......<xtra problems>wipconfig.. or netview...have you looked here>?..........update....rtfm.......read the fine manual

>http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=15

>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wifisoho.mspx
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 05:25:49 PM by merlin_2 »